Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2017, 10:01 AM

Shingles Vaccination

Tomorrow I am due to have a Shingles vaccination. Until I had my flu jab a couple of weeks ago I did not know that one could be immunised against shingles. My Practice Nurse, whom I have known for years, happened to mention it to me. She told me that the cut off age was 80, so I just manage to fall in the age group.

Shingles is such a nasty infection, which lingers a very long time, so I jumped at the chance.

I thought others on here may not know this vaccination is available.
doctor
west wales
doctor is male  doctor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2017, 10:03 AM

Re: Shingles Vaccination

had mine 3yrs ago,it was for 70s and over,,
had shingles bad a few yrs ago,not nice
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2017, 10:12 AM

I understand you have to be 70 to be eligible for the shingles vaccination and I will be first in the queue when I reach that age.
Having had shingles once I don't want it again.It was a nightmare I could't bear any fabric touching my body. I still have a legacy from having had it, a damaged nerve in my spine.

My neighbour has shingles at the moment, hers is down one side of the body the worst affected part part being the top of her leg and into her vagina. She has had 5 weeks of pain and misery in spite of catching it in time to take antivirals.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2017, 10:13 AM

Mr Mags was given his vaccination about 4 years ago... he had previously had shingles twice, not very nice at all...
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2017, 10:16 AM

I had a shingles vaccination at the same time as my flu jab this year. Although it was in September the vaccination site for the shingles jab is still quite tender. I would not like to have shingles; it is a nasty thing. I remember my MiL being in a lot of pain from it.
doctor
west wales
doctor is male  doctor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2017, 10:17 AM

yes Meg,,the nerves in my back were affected,have no feeling across part o my back,,,its a left over virus from chicken pox,so doc told me
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2017, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by CeeCee ->
I thought others on here may not know this vaccination is available.
A simple search of the forum for "shingles" would have revealed that it's a topic well discussed.

There's a "Shingles Vaccination" thread here:

http://www.over50sforum.com/showthre...light=shingles

And threads about people's experience with Shingles here:

Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2017, 10:06 PM

I had no idea there was such a thing as a Shingles vaccination. By the sounds of it I'm too young for it but will ask about it next time I'm at my GPs..
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2017, 05:57 AM

Wow, 70 is way to late, in my opinion. The only people I know who have gotten shingles were in their late 50s, my mother being one, or early 60s. They offer the vaccine here to anyone over 50.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2017, 11:48 AM

Surfermom, I agree in that I feel 70 is too late. I was also surprised that the upper limit is 80. So the jab is only available for those in a ten year age bracket. My sisters are too young to have it. There are also restrictions for those on some medications. There was some doubt whether I would be eligible because I am on steroids, however, my doctor felt it was safe for me to have it.

Despite all the dire warnings about possible side effects, I have felt nothing whatsoever, no sore arm, no fever, nothing. Brilliant!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top