Join for free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2018, 10:50 PM

Gentlemen

At the art store today, I was wrestling with two very large canvases, trying to get them off a high shelf and then to the checkout corner.

A very nice man approached me, in a very friendly and confident manner, and absolutely insisted that he carry the canvases up front.

While I could have managed myself, it was nice to have a gentleman lend a hand. It made him feel good (he said so), and it felt nice to be treated like a lady.

I don't hesitate to offer to help people, men or women, who look like they need a hand, but these kindnesses seem less commonplace. Is this my imagination? Do people think an offer to help might be offensive in some way?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2018, 11:15 PM

Re: Gentlemen

I would have thought that chap was very kind Surfermom.

I don't really know what others think though, but occasionally when I have been struggling to reach a top shelf in the supermarkets, someone has come along and reached up for me.
I think that is kind, and I always appreciate it.
A great shame if people are wary of offering help nowadays.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2018, 11:23 PM

I have a tall son for home, when he's home that is to reach things for me. I've had tall men get things down of supermarket shelves for me as well & not just staff members. I don't think the age of chivalry is totally passed.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2018, 11:36 PM

I ways offer if I think somebody is struggling and I always open a door or hold it open whether it be male or female.

I have to say males are polite and thank you more often.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2018, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I have a tall son for home, when he's home that is to reach things for me. I've had tall men get things down of supermarket shelves for me as well & not just staff members. I don't think the age of chivalry is totally passed.

Nor do I, Tiff. I do hope not anyway.
Recently a young school boy even reached something for me.
He only looked about 14 but must have been getting on for 6ft.
What a good boy.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2018, 11:41 PM

It was kind of him to offer help Surfer, but it was equally gracious of you to accept.

Many women would have knocked him back with a sharp rebuke that they were perfectly capable of managing thank you very much.

I hate that attitude.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2018, 11:56 PM

Girl Power, the curse of Modern Times.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2018, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Nor do I, Tiff. I do hope not anyway.
Recently a young school boy even reached something for me.
He only looked about 14 but must have been getting on for 6ft.
What a good boy.
Even some school lads are helpful. A lot aren't though.

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
It was kind of him to offer help Surfer, but it was equally gracious of you to accept.

Many women would have knocked him back with a sharp rebuke that they were perfectly capable of managing thank you very much.

I hate that attitude.
I always say yes please & thank them.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2018, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Girl Power, the curse of Modern Times.
Definitely!
Kev60
Germany. Black Forest.
Kev60 is male  Kev60 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2018, 08:21 AM

I always offer to help people, female or male. I often see older people struggling in hardware stores and it annoys the hell out of me when the store workers fly past them on their forklifts without stopping to help them. I was taught at a very early age to hold doors open and offer to carry bags for people and I still do it.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top