Join for free
Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2015, 09:12 AM

Re: Over 50s Club London

Originally Posted by Markey1 ->
Thomas beckett just up from the old fire station, pretty sure it gone now , haven't been down that way for a long while
Its still there Markey got a preservation order on it.Not quite sure if the gym is still in use these days . The bar itself as had so many different names over the past 25yrs with each landlord trying out something new to try and make a go of it. Trouble is because the Old Kent Road is now mainly all business's there is really no interest in drinking there anymore.I am going back a bit now but I remember The Thomas Becket/The Green Man and The Dun Cow used to be ram packed Friday and Saturday nights all within 20yrds of each other. But the punters don't live round there anymore so the pubs suffered. The Dun Cow is now a doctors surgery The Thomas god knows what it is this week, think The Green Man is still hanging on and trading as a restaurant, but not certain.
East Street Market is virtually finished gone are the old market stall holders quite a few foreigners moved in and their stalls where s**t standards dropped alarmingly "pardon my honesty". The Good Intent public house is still surviving but it is still very residential around there. The Bells pub has been dying for years gets a bit busy on market days. It had a bad reputation of being a shooters pub, lost a good mate there some years back.

You could always walk down the market and chat to the stall holders most I knew by name cos I taught their young ones how to play football. My daughter was the same has me and my grand daughter was always given fruit when they walked down there. Always a kind word.

Patsy you are so right memories are the best these days because it does break my heart when I drop off my daughter who still lives there in King and Queen Street just off of East Street and see the state of things around there.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2015, 09:19 AM

I feel very sad reading yer post - I've a tear I don't mind telling you, my East Lane market ruined and virtually gone !
I was right to never go back, I'd have been too saddened to see it - I'll keep me memories alive by thinking on those days as I usually do, I even dream about the market and my surroundings, I will always miss them
I'm really choked up - need a cuppa now .....
longfellow
Chatterbox
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2015, 01:56 PM

Sorry about that Patsy was not intended just told it how it is girl.

Here these old pictures may put that smile back on yer face all your old local markets.

East Street market

Westmoreland Road market.

The Blue in Bermondsey.

The Cut.

Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2015, 03:42 PM

Its OK - I've recovered
Had a good natter with Fabs about it all and we spoke of our memories, in the first picture right at the back, could be me with me Dad - could be, so from that age through me marriage - it was the East Lane for me ......
Good to see Westmoreland Road too and very surprised to see 'the Blue' in Bermondsey - tis where I ended up from the Elephant - the Blue was a little different then of course
And - The Cut, been there a few times too - smashing .....
longfellow
Chatterbox

19-04-2015, 10:12 AM

Yes I was looking closely at The Blue we had quite a few old friends who lived a round that area.
But these days its just a small square market place in the middle of shops.
When I worked for Menzies I used to used my van to help the lads push some of those stalls through the car park and alley way on cold mornings that was in-between me delivering the papers.
By the looks of that picture it was taking up most of the road, one of my favourite pubs down there was The Foresters just by the railway bridge.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

19-04-2015, 12:39 PM

Often passed the Foresters pub - but never went in there .......
My pub was the Raymouth Tavern - Raymouth Rd
There was another one - can't recall the name of that .....
maursey
hertfordshire
maursey is female  maursey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2015, 03:37 PM

I love London. I was born in London . Lived there for eighteen years then got married and moved to the sticks in Northamptonshire, then Essex and now East Herts.

Anyone come from North West London? I lived in Kilburn and in my youth use to go to the West End regularly to meet the Guardsmen. Loved tall men. Husband was in The Grenadier Guards.

Loved Petticoat Lane, Church Street. Had a sister who lived in Freeling Street in the East End.

I go regularly to London with some of the family. Once a Londoner always a Londoner.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

19-04-2015, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by maursey ->
I love London. I was born in London . Lived there for eighteen years then got married and moved to the sticks in Northamptonshire, then Essex and now East Herts.

Anyone come from North West London? I lived in Kilburn and in my youth use to go to the West End regularly to meet the Guardsmen. Loved tall men. Husband was in The Grenadier Guards.

Loved Petticoat Lane, Church Street. Had a sister who lived in Freeling Street in the East End.

I go regularly to London with some of the family. Once a Londoner always a Londoner.

Very true - loved Petticoat Lane too
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2015, 08:47 PM

A mate and I had a stall in Petticoat lane for a short time.
Then being a taxi driver fo 46 years, I knew most of the places mentioned.
How it has all changed.
PamM
UK
PamM is female 

07-10-2018, 10:02 PM

No London groups?

Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top