Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2017, 05:13 PM

Re: Vitamins and supplements

Originally Posted by May ->
I don't know if I lack certain vitamins though I do cook and eat nutricious meals from scratch and eat fruit & veg every day....BUT living in the far North I'm sure I must be short in vit' D as We don't get so much sun?...How can One tell?

Blood test will confirm,i was waking up with joint pain, Shoulder ,elbows ,thumb joint became so painful it was restricting me. I felt like id done 10 rounds with Tyson ,and my body was under attack from the inside .To look at me you would not think there was not much wrong ,
But the blood test showed my level D was 19 when it should be 50 .
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2017, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I think, like most things, you get what you pay for.

I send off for stuff because I can't get the same quality in the shops here.
I have a multi vitamin/mineral for older people, and a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement made from green lipped mussels (from Lintbells).
If I have been on antibiotics for anything, I always start on a course of probiotics to put any 'good bugs' back that the antibiotics have wiped out.
Oh yes, I also swig a good quality Aloe juice daily. I only buy this if it has the International Aloe Science Council stamp, as this guarantees it has been tested for purity and content. (Many cheaper products don't have this seal and are watered down or full of other additives).

I have wondered if these things are worthwhile or not, so recently stopped taking the glucosomine, but within a week or two I felt a lot of aches and pains coming back. So I made my own mind up on what suits me best.
Mups I like the idea of probiotics but never understand if you can take them in tablet / capsule form or they have to be 'live 'and therefor keep in a fridge if so where do you get them from
At the moment I eat natural yogurt as I understand that is a sort of probiotic (I think ?)
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2017, 07:22 PM

Right Eliza,off tomorrow to get some vit D tabs so I'll expect to be jumping around like a young thing within a few weeks

I take Fage total 0% yoghurt which contains 5 live active cultures,also add blueberries/strawbs to sweeten it a bit.
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2017, 07:43 PM

Rhodiola I take daily in tablet form since 2011.
Since then I have had no lung infections I stopped having the dreaded flu jab although my gp did say at the time I was not helping myself stopping the jab. She as since been proved wrong year after year. But the surgery still texts me annualy to have the jab.
Rhodiola is recomended to build up the immune system in some in others it simply does not work so I am told.
My friends who also take it say yes it does work.

I believe it works for me.

[Traditional medicine]
In Russia and Scandinavia, R. rosea has been used for centuries to cope with the cold Siberian climate and stressful life. It is also used to increase physical endurance and resistance to high-altitude sickness, but the scientific evidence for such benefits is weak.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2017, 12:02 AM

In answer to realspeed I believe that as you get older your ability to metabolise Vit D seems to lessen. So you need a higher dose than diet alone provides. A few years ago a blood test showed I was slightly under. This was despite taking cod liver oil religiously. I was feeling really exhausted and changing to a more powerful supplement seemed to help. When you read up on it you have to ensure you also have enough Vit K and calcium to help you absorb the Vit D. Vit D is the only supplement I take seriously.

Vit C is something I take a supplement for if I have had any injury or cut. It seems to speed up healing because maybe we use more up then. But usually you should have enough from even one piece of fruit or fresh veg a day. Just having a fresh tomato (if you can eat them) is enough. You just excrete most of a supplement if you are healthy.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2017, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by longfellow ->
Rhodiola I take daily in tablet form since 2011.
Since then I have had no lung infections I stopped having the dreaded flu jab although my gp did say at the time I was not helping myself stopping the jab. She as since been proved wrong year after year. But the surgery still texts me annualy to have the jab.
Rhodiola is recomended to build up the immune system in some in others it simply does not work so I am told.
My friends who also take it say yes it does work.
It sounds great. If it works for you then you are very lucky. I had the real flu four years ago. Year after year I was ok, but then it just knocked me over and ever since then I've had the jab. I don't think I had ever had it before in my life because I had never felt so utterly wretched and ended up in hospital dehydrated. I'd rather not take the chance. You can always do both because all the jab should do is boost your immunity further.
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2017, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
It sounds great. If it works for you then you are very lucky. I had the real flu four years ago. Year after year I was ok, but then it just knocked me over and ever since then I've had the jab. I don't think I had ever had it before in my life because I had never felt so utterly wretched and ended up in hospital dehydrated. I'd rather not take the chance. You can always do both because all the jab should do is boost your immunity further.
Annie I started having the flu jab some 17 years previous to that I think its when I was working for Oyez in Bermondsey all the workers had the option and I took it. I still got infections and stuff but not so serious then after being dx with emphysema I was put on the NHS list for my annual jab. But in 2010 like you I was put flat on my back for 4 weeks breathing with the help from o2 cylinders and it scared the living daylights out of me. The damage an infection does to my lungs is never repaired like normal COPD sufferers because I lack a vital protien hence why its called Alpha1 Emphysema. So I had to start looking at alternatives because I do believe even today that the NHS flu jab is not given at the right time of year. They wait until the backend of September before they start giving it. Which is rather silly imo. June or July would be the perfect time when the bugs are not already flying about in the air. Still this discussion is really for another thread .

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top