Join for free
Page 121 of 370 « First < 21 71 111 119 120 121 122 123 131 171 221 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2018, 12:57 AM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Bob, you've obviously strained your back from helping your friend the other day with all that lifting. You should have been resting to be honest, but I know it's hard to say no to somebody and have to let them down.

You need to rest and get yourself to a physio pronto bud. Be told now

Well, if there's a 'wuss' around today it's definitely me.
We had a nice meal at my local pub yesterday evening and all through it I was sitting under the air conditioning and I awoke this morning with one hell of a stiff neck, which is still bloody painful. I really wanted to train today, but I can't even turn my head without moving my whole body to the right.
Driving isn't the best of things to so either as I'm relying on swivelling my eyeballs so far to the right that they feel like they're revolving around the back of my head.
So it's a night indoors babysitting tonight and with plenty of Voltarol on my neck. Hopefully by the morning I'll be fit enough to visit the house of iron once more

Oh Floydy, I can so sympathise with that!

The cafe I sometimes stop for a bit of lunch in is the same.
It drives me nuts. Air con going full blast in February, nearly blows you off your bloomin' chair. Stoooopid.
Ok in August, but Jan/Feb? I can't even take me coat off in there. They're bonkers.

Hope your neck feels a bit better tomorrow.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2018, 01:20 AM

The weather is still cooperating driving the entire population of the southern US outdoors today. While I tried to surf, it was just too sloppy for it to be any real fun, so after being tossed about in the whitewater, I finally paddled in in favor of Plan B - a quick 6K

I have to say that it is really enjoyable not to be training and just be back to running for the fun of it. Popcorn clouds under an azure sky framed the blooming pecan trees and Azaleas that, with their white and pink petals, announce the promise of spring in a few short weeks. All this beauty and warmth was enough for me to burst off the starting line with a little extra joy this afternoon.

Unfortunately, spring described the weather better than me today. Whether it is the power of suggestion from OGF and Floydy's difficulties, or having had tweaked it in the surf, my lower back was complaining causing me stop mid-run and stretch for a while before getting back on the road. OGF will attest to the fact that having to slow significantly or stop altogether feels a little like failure, so I did so hesitatingly, but in the chorus we all sing here, I let common sense prevail. Better wise than five, I rounded it down to an even four. Short but enough to feel satisfied afterwards.

Sorry to hear your vertebrae are also acting up, Floydy, though have to admit a little chuckling over imagining your bug-eyed and shifting your eyes dramatically side-to-side while driving today. The only time I had a truly frozen neck like yours, I had to make a lengthy drive, and as I changed lanes, I thought I saw someone in my blind spot. Without thinking I snapped my head to the left to look...and I felt this crack, crack, crack down my neck which instantly relieved my pain. That was the first time I remember thinking there might be something to chiropractors after all. Anyway, I hope your neck issue resolves on its own by gym time tomorrow, Floydy

This bad back business is no bueno.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2018, 01:27 AM

Hi, Mups! How's the yoga going?

Btw, air conditioning has caused me not to return to a place. I think they do it to turn the tables quickly.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2018, 11:16 AM

Being 'Tossed about in the whitewater' conjures up images that might just get me banned from the forum Surfermom....... So I'll desist to comment and continue with my praise of your extremely well written account. Being given a massage by Ruthio would be my dream but unfortunately not something that can be administered over the internet......

Good news actually, this morning I awoke feeling something had changed in my lower back.......After a relaxing hot shower I was amazed to discover that I could swivel my hips again (like Tom Jones) which was something I've been unable to do for the last week.... Early days yet, but my mind is already writing cheques in the shape of a walk in the morning.....Yipee...

ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2018, 05:29 PM

Exercise for back pain...do it often!

Get down on hands and knees, slowly!

Very slowly raise back UP while lowering head DOWN.
Lower back DOWN (concave if possible) while raising head UP.

Thats all, just keep doing it often!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2018, 05:43 PM

Looks like we're all having some bother with our backs at the moment. Must be the weather, I dunno!
But Bob, you're sounding really positive again, so looks like we'll be seeing you back in the land of the living very soon - or at least walking very fast....
Surfermom - hope it's temporary with you also. You need to get nack in that surf come good weather.
Nice also to see Ruthio and Mups doing their fair share of exercise, every little helps.

My neck was still sore today and I’ve developed a twinge in my lower back too – Bob, is your niggle contagious?! – so I had to test the water a little today and omit certain exercises which I knew would aggravate things (shoulder press, bench press). I’m sure it’s only a temporary issue, and it certainly shouldn’t affect leg work which I’ll be doing tomorrow.
For today though it was back to my usual reps programme…

Saturday, 24 Feb 18:

Chest press, 35kg:
25/20/15
*No change to the programme with these. A good weight.

Single DB press, flat bench, 42kg:
25/20/22
*I found I could do a few more reps with this today, plus there was an added 2kg to use a 42kg dumbbell. I’m thinking it has more to do than doing the exercise earlier in my session than at the end like I would normally do, but I’m going to use a heavier weight next time, 44kg and try to perform the same reps (or more?)

Lat pulldown, underarm grip, 35kg:
25/20/23
*Again, I must be stronger with the bicep grip as I was doing many more reps than previously. I’ll be adding 5kg to this next time.

Seated row, 41kg:
20/18/15

DB press, incline bench, 20kg:
20/15/8
*Not so good on this today. The shoulders come into play, so that affected my performance a tad.

E-Z preacher curl, vertical pull, close grip, 23kg:
28/15/12
*I’ll be increasing the weight to 28kg next time. Definitely getting stronger in the biceps after last week’s full-on strength session where I was curling 53kg.

E-Z preacher curl, standard incline, wide grip, 18kg:
15/12/12
*Increasing this to 23kg next week.

E-Z standing curl:
10x30.5kg
*Nice to stand up for a change. Basic curling of the bar to the shoulders with a reasonably heavy weight. Just one set.

Tricep extensions:
25x40

Time: About an hour (forgot to check!)

All well and good despite the back and neck issues. Hopefully they will be eradicated by next week.

Tonight we are attending our friends’ golden wedding anniversary at a posh Turkish meze restaurant, so it will be nice to meet up with some old buddies.

Thanks for reading

Oh, and while we're talking about shirtless men in another thread, I might as well take advantage and flaunt a little while I get the chance - sorry about the light on this!

My humble apologies!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2018, 08:53 PM

I'm going to do those exercises Ruthio, in fact I'm getting down now...............Yes.....Feels good......

Good workout again Floydy, I think these back and neck problems would be non existent in a warm climate...I'm off to Spain for a month next winter.......

Surfermom.....If I had a stiff neck I don't think I would want anyone to 'Crack it' for me......I've watched too many Tom Cruise movies.....
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2018, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Exercise for back pain...do it often!

Get down on hands and knees, slowly!

Very slowly raise back UP while lowering head DOWN.
Lower back DOWN (concave if possible) while raising head UP.

Thats all, just keep doing it often!

We do that at Yoga ruthio, they call it 'The Cat.'

Foxy, as you arch your back and put hour head down, breath out.
When you dip your back and put your head up - breath in.

P.S.

Foxy & Floyds, if you ever need a Chiropractor, look for a McTimoney one, they work differently, and don't crack anything.
I see one roughly quarterly, just to keep everything aligned and where it should be, as I have lower back and neck problems otherwise.

Here's a link to see if there is one in your area, if it helps:

http://www.mctimoneytrust.org/44/Fin...l-Chiropractor
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

24-02-2018, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Hi, Mups! How's the yoga going?

Btw, air conditioning has caused me not to return to a place. I think they do it to turn the tables quickly.

Hi Surfermom, the Yoga's good thanks.
Did hour & half this morning, then came home and walked my dogs.

Another reason I like my Yoga is you don't have to buy anything, no expensive equipment, just some comfy loose trousers or joggers and a t.shirt.

Also, once you know some of the exercises (and are doing them safely), you can do them at home each day between attending the classes - regardless of the weather outside.

I shall do one hour Monday morning at a class, then another just general exercise class in the afternoon for another hour.

Tuesday I shall do some at home, before I go off to my Wednesday class for an hour & half again.
I like the company and being with like-minded people as much as the work-outs.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2018, 10:30 PM

Ok so I did yoga for the first time in months this weekend. It's amazing how it energises you.

I did this today (not for the faint hearted!) :

Page 121 of 370 « First < 21 71 111 119 120 121 122 123 131 171 221 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top