Join for free
Page 21 of 370 « First < 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 71 121 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2016, 09:52 PM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Can I ask a question that I ponder upon quite regularly?

Why do runners/joggers favour main roads? I always think running along side petrol/diesel fumes defeats the object of being fit with all the fumes being taken down into the lungs

Why not run around the side roads away from traffic fumes? (Assuming one doesn't live in the countryside).
Good question Pesta, most runners are probably training to run marathons, half marathons or 10K's which will be run mainly on the roads so road work is preferable. However, there are many things you can do to lessen the toxic effects that running on traffic filled roads will produce. Running early morning is the best time to run before traffic has built up in the rush hour, it's also cooler and more refreshing. Best not to run on a full stomach so before breakfast means you don't have to be careful about what you eat throughout the day.

Most cities and towns have secret ginnels and cycle and walking tracks and paths away from the roads, or perhaps a river or canal through the town usually have good towpaths along the side. Purchase of an Ordnance Survey Map will have all of these marked. It will also provide a knowledge of the area that you thought you knew.

I think it is quite irresponsible for runners to run alongside traffic on busy main roads, not only are they risking their lives they are making drivers take avoiding action when they encounter a runner on a bend. I occasionally have to run alongside a busy road to make up a circuit, but it will always be on a footpath and be the shortest bit If I can't find a suitable alternative.

Having said all that Pesta I love road running, you don't have to worry about where to put your feet, pace can be fast or slow with no uneven surfaces, and you can let your mind wonder where it will without distraction. I am very fortunate though with quiet country roads and long towpaths alongside the canal, most early mornings I can run for hours and never see a vehicle.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2016, 10:15 PM

Thanks for your detailed reply OGF. I understand what you're saying re road running in preparation for doing marathons, which are on roads.

I don't live in the countryside. I used to though and understand re both canal paths and areas suitable for running/jogging away from traffic or with minimal traffic.

I live in a town 'village' now where the main roads always have runners/joggers doing their bit. They run at any time of the day including rush hour. The cycle and walk ways are by main roads too. In fact the cyclists are given the same place to cycle as pedestrians ie on pavements (which is bonkers).

Which brings me back to trying to understand what the attraction is for runners (who live in towns) 'eating' pollution whilst getting their muscles, limbs, heart and mind fit but probably smoking a 100 fags while they're doing it
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2016, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Which brings me back to trying to understand what the attraction is for runners (who live in towns) 'eating' pollution whilst getting their muscles, limbs, heart and mind fit but probably smoking a 100 fags while they're doing it
Runners in cities must breathe in more polluted air than those able to exercise elsewhere. They still seem healthier than those who smoke 100 fags though, so maybe exercising in cities doesn't quite equate to that.

I wonder if some could be running with a purpose? Going to and from work for instance, wash/change when they get there. Apart from the exercise it gives, running could be a quicker way than any other of getting from A to B in cities.

Edit: ..and towns.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2016, 09:37 AM

Quite right Mart, I would cycle to work (six miles) and run home, the next day I would run to work and cycle home. Taking the car in for MOT or service; run home from the garage and back later to collect it. Being a dedicated runner means adapting to your lifestyle. (or the other way round)

Lets look at it from a different perspective Pesta: I don't necessarily run to keep fit. Lots of good things occur by being a runner; I never put on weight so I can eat virtually anything, I have the stamina and strength to perform most jobs around the house and garden. Distance does not phase me, I can get up in the morning and go out walking all day. I very rarely am Ill. And it has saved my life.

All through my competitive years as a runner I smoked. I finished marathons and long fell runs with many non smokers behind me. Running was something I found easy to do despite lighting up after a run (frowned upon by many of my running friends) You are not excluded from running or any other sport just because you smoke. In fact it became a novelty. Consequently, running in polluted areas had to be accepted and running purged the lungs once you were out in the fresh air of the country, I never felt that smoking or running in traffic did all that much harm.

Pesta, I think you overestimate the damage that polluted air can do (the media again) and underestimate the dedication of many runners out there treading the streets in all weathers. There are far worse things that can affect a runner and running in traffic pollution is way down the list.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2016, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Taking the car in for MOT or service; run home from the garage and back later to collect it. Being a dedicated runner means adapting to your lifestyle. (or the other way round)
I'm no runner. The kneecap I broke years ago probably wouldn't stand up to it (literally). Using the bike never hurts it though and cycling can be much quicker than using a car or public transport. Talking of MOT/car servicing, I do something similar to you. Bung the bike in the back of the car, go to the garage and book the car in and then ride the bike home.

The cycling route there and back takes me along the Blackwater Valley Path. Very pleasant along there on a nice day but still away from traffic even if the weather isn't so good.

Off out today on the bike at 11-00 A. M. I don't know where we'll go yet but rain is forecast for 4-00 P.M. so I expect I'll catch some of that. I don't mind (too much) getting wet on the way home though.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

22-07-2016, 05:08 PM

Not a fast or long ride today because of the ill-health of my co-rider. The flags were down on the firing ranges however and this meant we could cycle around on the tarmac inside the perimeter fence. Lunch in the park, a couple of pints in the pub and then a walk home. Not a bad day all in all.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2016, 07:35 PM

Interesting reply OGF - thank you.

Can't believe you smoked and still took part in competitive running. You must have first class lungs

I know what you mean about you walking all day. I've always loved walking. Nothing like having a good stride out, appreciating nature along the way and feeling free, and it costs nothing.
Sadly the dreaded plantar fasciitis started putting paid to my lengthy walks. When it's behaving I get myself out walking, but find I'm always mindful not to do too much for fear it starts off again.
But hey, gentle walking is better than no walking.

Ok, I'll leave you in peace now.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2016, 07:19 PM

I've run hard this week but also drunk too much cider. Tried to go for a 6 mile run this evening but the week caught up with me. Only managed 3 miles and was glad to get back to the car. Resting now in my pjs quite relaxed as only a person who has experienced tiredness through too much exercise can appreciate.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

23-07-2016, 08:09 PM

A four mile walk to and from town ..plus ripping the bedroom apart, painting the walls, treating a bit of mould (fitted wardrobes arriving soon). Lot of bending lifting and tugging involved. That'll do for today.
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2016, 09:03 PM

"Daily exercise regime" ?
I get out of bed - does that count ?

My genetic code dictates the number of heartbeats before I die.
Why would I want to regularly increase my heart-rate and thereby shorten my life-span ?

Page 21 of 370 « First < 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 71 121 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top