Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2017, 02:59 AM

Other Planets with Atmospheres

Anyone interested in astronomy? This academic year I have volunteered to help a graduate student edit his work on the spectrometry of exoplanets to assess their atmospheres.

Here's an idea of what we'll be considering:

http://www.nature.com/news/the-truth...lanets-1.19388
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2017, 08:41 AM

Re: Other Planets with Atmospheres

To quote Rodders "Cosmic".
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2017, 09:00 AM

Interesting Surfermom, im hoping ET will get a wiggle on and show up here before i revert to cosmic dust.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2017, 09:03 AM

I haven't truly figured this planet out yet Surfermom, just when I think I've got it nailed someone makes holes in all of my theories.....Are you sure the Earth is round?...
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2017, 09:24 AM

"Far out man" as hippies would say
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2017, 10:53 AM

Yes it's very interesting. The astronomers are certainly putting a lot of effort into finding these planets at the moment. I'm sure there are others like Earth out there.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2017, 05:31 AM

The short course:

1. Spectography is the best tool for determining the elements present in the atmosphere of planets.

2. Spectrographs split the wavelengths of gasses into separate colors - red to indigo- with bands running through them. Each gas has a uniqe signature "rainbow".

3. Because planets don't emit light, but rather reflect it, spectrography has traditionally only been effective in examining stars of various distances and only near planets. Like seeing writing through an envelope held up to a lamp, studying a planet as it transits across the face of its star can tell us what is "inside" that atmopshere.

4. There have been thousands of exoplanets found in the last few years. A very small minority of those have atmospheres that are dense enough, high enough (to prevent UV destruction), and gasses that could suggest the presence of life (as we know it).

5. It is likely that this technique will be a central technology in finding the first life beyond the solar system. With thousands of exoplanets found in the last few years, spectrography technology improving, race is on to find possible candidates for further study.

6. My grad student's work is to refine strategies to find other atmospheric components like temperature, the ratio of gasses, and anomalies, to help further identification of candidates.

7. I would answer questions, but OGF seems to think I have fallen off the flat Earth. Someone lower me a rope.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2017, 07:44 AM

Hi

I am more interested in the physics of Astronomy than the actual Astronomy itself.

In particular Gravity and the hunt for the Graviton.

A fifth dimension would be fun.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2017, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
The short course:

7. I would answer questions, but OGF seems to think I have fallen off the flat Earth. Someone lower me a rope.
Sorry Surfermom, I didn't mean to be disrespectful...
I have the greatest of respect for your knowledge of all things 'Astronomical' and it is infinitely greater than mine....However, Being an engineer I like to study and build things that have a conclusion....i.e. Either it works or it doesn't!...
Studying space and deciding whether life can exist elsewhere will (I suspect) never be brought to a satisfactory conclusion in my lifetime.

That doesn't mean to say that I'm not interested in all things 'Astronomical' because I am, but I will leave the questions to someone who is really interested while I spend my time inventing things that have been invented before, I believe that the proof of understanding how something works is to build one successfully. It gives me such a buzz when they work....

Now lets not have anymore talk about 'Spectography' and 'Dark Matter' .....While I strip down this interesting piece of equipment to see how it works.....
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2017, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Sorry Surfermom, I didn't mean to be disrespectful...
I have the greatest of respect for your knowledge of all things 'Astronomical' and it is infinitely greater than mine....However, Being an engineer I like to study and build things that have a conclusion....i.e. Either it works or it doesn't!...
Studying space and deciding whether life can exist elsewhere will (I suspect) never be brought to a satisfactory conclusion in my lifetime.

That doesn't mean to say that I'm not interested in all things 'Astronomical' because I am, but I will leave the questions to someone who is really interested while I spend my time inventing things that have been invented before, I believe that the proof of understanding how something works is to build one successfully. It gives me such a buzz when they work....

Now lets not have anymore talk about 'Black Holes' and 'Dark Matter' .....While I strip down this interesting piece of equipment.....
Why not invent and build a teleportation device, then we could find out for sure.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top