Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2017, 01:01 AM

Sink Holes

Anyone see the programme about these sink holes?

Bloomin' frightening stuff.
They say a lot of them are because of old mining work.
One suddenly opened up in someone's garden, right on the same spot his children had been playing the day before.
It was over 10 metres deep! You wouldn't stand a chance of getting out of there without help would you.

In one place, they had actually built a school over a load of mines - can you believe that??? They all started to collapse and the school had to be closed.

They say most of us wouldn't even know they are standing right over a sink hole until the ground suddenly disappears.

I really do believe the problem will get rapidly worse where they do fracking, and how many people's house insurance covers sink holes!
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2017, 04:07 AM

Re: Sink Holes

With all the bad luck you've had recently I half expected one had appeared in your garden.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2017, 10:12 AM

In Perranporth Cornwall I well remember some of the sand dunes being roped off . What had happened is the pit props in the tin mines had rotted and given way causing the mine tunnels to collapse causing big holes in the dunes. Not exactly the same as sink holes but on the same theme
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2017, 11:16 AM

Yes frightening stuff. That one where they keep showing with people going into one. Nasty.
I wonder how I can find out if I am in danger, but who knows what lies beneath ones home.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2017, 11:21 AM

Are these disused shafts not filled in once work has finished?
Surely they don't just put a big 'lid' on them and leave the shaft open underneath?

Bazza, my brother lives in Devon and he said Cornwall is like a big kitchen sieve underground, full of holes like honeycomb.

Won't fracking do the same?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2017, 11:21 AM

When I lived in SE London, there was a crack in the stairwell up to my flat. After getting the council involved, it was decided that the movement had stopped so nothing was done about it.

A good twenty years later, the road outside the flats collapsed leaving a 20ft deep hole. Luckily, no one was hurt.
Fogey
Shropshire
Fogey is male  Fogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2017, 11:40 AM

In Wiltshire, where I lived as a boy, I was able to walk some three miles underground, through abandoned mines, from Quarry Hill to Corsham, where they quarried for Bath-stone.

A great place to grow up.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

01-12-2017, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Fogey ->
In Wiltshire, where I lived as a boy, I was able to walk some three miles underground, through abandoned mines, from Quarry Hill to Corsham, where they quarried for Bath-stone.

A great place to grow up.

So mines are not filled in after their working life is over?
Fogey
Shropshire
Fogey is male  Fogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2017, 11:45 AM

They weren't at the time, although I did notice the quarries that led to the entrance of these man-made caves had been turned into landfill.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

01-12-2017, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Fogey ->
They weren't at the time, although I did notice the quarries that led to the entrance of these man-made caves had been turned into landfill.

I cann hardly believe that, Fogey.
So now, through man's earlier stupidity, people are losing their homes and businesses to sink holes!

No one has answered yet as to whether fracking will do the same?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top