Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2017, 01:14 AM

Re: tooth broken

it must be cracked all the way inside if they think it's not worth saving although you should go for a second opinon as not the best place for a gap. Why can't you have a bridge instead of a plate? I assume you don't want an implant.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2017, 01:55 AM

implant too expensive and a bridge might damage other teeth if they have problems. So the dentist is arranging for a plate which I am not sure about. Having a gap is no real big worry for me anyway. So ifI can't get on with a plate then I won't use it.
i don't have to look at it anyway only others may
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2017, 08:18 AM

Can always get dentist to file it down to a point and ask to have opposite side done too (fangs)!!!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2017, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
implant too expensive and a bridge might damage other teeth if they have problems. So the dentist is arranging for a plate which I am not sure about. Having a gap is no real big worry for me anyway. So ifI can't get on with a plate then I won't use it.
i don't have to look at it anyway only others may
In case you are confusing a post crown with an implant, they are not the same. A post crown uses your existing root (if sound) whereas an implant is much more invasive, being screwed into the jaw bone.

At least that's what I understand.

Consider all possibilities.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2017, 11:45 AM

I had exactly the same problem about ten years ago, in fact it was the same tooth. My dentist at the time, simply filled it, making it into the shape of a tooth and it's been there ever since, colour matched as well.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2017, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
In case you are confusing a post crown with an implant, they are not the same. A post crown uses your existing root (if sound) whereas an implant is much more invasive, being screwed into the jaw bone.

At least that's what I understand.

Consider all possibilities.
I already have a post crown done many years ago. i asked and the dentist said the root would not be strong enough as there is not enough of it
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2017, 06:57 PM

You really should get a second opinion. Another dentist may think there's a way to save it.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2017, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
I already have a post crown done many years ago. i asked and the dentist said the root would not be strong enough as there is not enough of it
Ah, that's the answer then.

A plate would be the next option, then, or a bridge perhaps although you said a bridge might damage adjacent teeth.

If you get a plate and don't like it, you have the option of not using it of course. As someone said (Morty?) it is possible that the other teeth could close up to part-fill the gap.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

15-12-2017, 12:44 AM

It is unlikely that the gap will close significantly as there was already a slight gap there. Leaving a gap will put pressure on the surrounding teeth, particularly the premolar which looks like it needs a crown. Once you remove a tooth there is bone lost over time which is why they recommend implants. I'd say a bridge is a better option in the long run if you don't want an implant and if you can't tolerate a plate. They can make it pretty robustly if you find the right dentist. But it's worth seeing if anyone can save the tooth. Because it's always better to keep it there if at all possible. If the root is not cracked then they should be able to salvage something.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top