Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2017, 04:27 PM

Re: How long will the internet last?

It's here to stay, there's no going back but it's days are probably numbered in terms of virtually free access to any kind of content you choose. It'll still thrive regarding educational or financial use.

Increasing censorship and 'Big Brother is watching you' will deter many from roving where man has boldly gone before.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2017, 04:38 PM

It's here to stay and is still expanding into the internet of things.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2017, 10:58 PM

The internet is a way for governments and agencies to keep track of everybody by monitoring everything they do when online. Website visited, emails sent will be (if not already) logged and recorded. Your innermost thoughts if transmitted to others will be used against you as freedom of speech and thought is slowly eroded using the so-called `not politically correct`, racist and phobic arguments. Is it any wonder that a great majority of websites are adopting https encrypted protocols, not just banking sites, even the most innocuous ones. The government is terrified of encryption hence their attempts to shut down Skype, Facetime and Whatsapp and the increase in VPNs.

The end of net neutrality is another step to control the people's use of the internet, no longer will content be free but controlled by ISPs and large companies for content for which you will have to pay, what better way to control what you see and read?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2017, 11:41 PM

The sheer volume of internet traffic is its safety - think of why animals go in herds.

Whatever controls are imposed there are ways round it, if not someone will create a way. Eg PGP encryption; the USA had a ban on the export of such technology so the inventor merely published the code in book form.

The whole reason for the invention of the Internet was to provide a network with massive built in redundancy. The only choke points are those connecting your house and perhaps international connections.

Even government controls have weaknesses. In Australia there a number of 'banned' websites - Pirate Bay is one - orders to the major ISPs to block it have been issued but my small ISP is not one so ordered so it is still available directly. Not that such a ban can work as long as there are VPNs available.

So far industry attempts to protect their content have failed - DRM and DVD country coding all cracked. They will keep trying, people will keep trying to crack it.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-12-2017, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
The internet is a way for governments and agencies to keep track of everybody by monitoring everything they do when online. Website visited, emails sent will be (if not already) logged and recorded. Your innermost thoughts if transmitted to others will be used against you as freedom of speech and thought is slowly eroded using the so-called `not politically correct`, racist and phobic arguments. Is it any wonder that a great majority of websites are adopting https encrypted protocols, not just banking sites, even the most innocuous ones. The government is terrified of encryption hence their attempts to shut down Skype, Facetime and Whatsapp and the increase in VPNs.

The end of net neutrality is another step to control the people's use of the internet, no longer will content be free but controlled by ISPs and large companies for content for which you will have to pay, what better way to control what you see and read?
I was just about to say something similar Judd but you put it so much better. I reckon the internet will always be around but it will eventually end up a burden rather than something good. As you say, the authorities have already cottoned onto this and we are already being tracked and monitored.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2018, 12:40 PM

On a side note, how do the police track down trolls? As people on social media usually only go by a username, how is this possible?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2018, 02:13 PM

Ip addresses that's how they tracked my stalker. All they started with was a made up name. It was amazing how fast they found him.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2018, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Ip addresses that's how they tracked my stalker. All they started with was a made up name. It was amazing how fast they found him.
I need to find a particularly irritating troll who makes it impossible for me to even post on a particular forum. I'm wondering how to go about this.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2018, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
I need to find a particularly irritating troll who makes it impossible for me to even post on a particular forum. I'm wondering how to go about this.
Contact the admin of an affected forum floydy, I had to go to the police who were marvellous because of nature of the stuff sent to me. But I'm not sure they'd be so quick or interested in someone trolling you.

One way is just ignore them it soon becomes apparent to everyone else who is the nutcase if you aren't responding in anyway.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

01-01-2018, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Contact the admin of an affected forum floydy, I had to go to the police who were marvellous because of nature of the stuff sent to me. But I'm not sure they'd be so quick or interested in someone trolling you.

One way is just ignore them it soon becomes apparent to everyone else who is the nutcase if you aren't responding in anyway.
Thanks Julie.
It's nothing serious, it's just some bedsit loser who seems intent on responding to my every post with a pathetic remark. I've no idea why this idiot has latched on to me even when I ignore his posts.
I have asked the forum owner on the fitness site to warn him but he says he will just turn up again under another name if he bans him.
I'm leaving the site because I am unable to post anymore.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top