Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2018, 01:10 PM

Re: Downsizing yes or no?

I'd love to upsize we are a bit squashed here in our two bed, but that's not going to happen so we make best we can off it, we've up sized to here, was in a tiny one bed at one time but everything's bigger than when we lived in our car, that was seriously small with two dogs. Amazing what you can do though IMO
SamTheMan
Merseyside
SamTheMan is male  SamTheMan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2018, 05:45 PM

I'm by myself in a big 3bed semi. I like it here. The neighbours are good without being over friendly and a nuisance. I've got a nice big garden which i enjoy. But as i start to get older i can see it all becoming to much, and i have been surfing viewing flats. I've never lived in a flat. The thing that has put me off buying a flat is, they all seem to be leasehold with high service charges. Then you see these stories in the press and on Tv, warning you that some of these service charges get increased at, the-drop-of-a-hat A For Sale board went up last week, outside a bungalow just up the road from me, but when i looked on the Internet they were asking nearly £100k more than i'd get for mine.
Then the thing that most stops me from downsizing, i'm a terrible hoarder, and it would take forever clearing all my rubbish.
Beautiful Filly
Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada
Beautiful Filly is female  Beautiful Filly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2018, 05:51 PM

Since selling our last house...I find that I am constantly downsizing with each move, and still I have too much stuff......as I am alone now...
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2018, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by SamTheMan ->
I'm by myself in a big 3bed semi. I like it here. The neighbours are good without being over friendly and a nuisance. I've got a nice big garden which i enjoy. But as i start to get older i can see it all becoming to much, and i have been surfing viewing flats. I've never lived in a flat. The thing that has put me off buying a flat is, they all seem to be leasehold with high service charges. Then you see these stories in the press and on Tv, warning you that some of these service charges get increased at, the-drop-of-a-hat A For Sale board went up last week, outside a bungalow just up the road from me, but when i looked on the Internet they were asking nearly £100k more than i'd get for mine.
Then the thing that most stops me from downsizing, i'm a terrible hoarder, and it would take forever clearing all my rubbish.
Hi

It can be done Sam.

It is painful and you have be ruthless.

Today I have done 17 large bags and boxes.

Four for the charity shop,four for the tip and the rest for a car boot and ebay.

I really do not need to keep a large self sharpening chainsaw.
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2018, 08:10 PM

McCarthy & Stone are popular and expensive retirement home builders in this area and charge very high service charges. However, one of the properties they built they sold on, the property prices plummeted but the service charges remain the same! Not to be trusted!

Our house is now too big for our needs but we can’t make up our minds what to do for the best.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2018, 08:16 PM

Ours too Val...but the thought of moving gives me nightmares.

If anything weve upsized!
Last year we spent a fortune on a big new kitchen and theres no way I intend to walk away from it!
Took months to clear two rooms and the garage!
Nope, staying put!
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2018, 08:34 PM

We downsized 15 years ago but still a house. How I wished we’d bought a bungalow then. Like you ruthio, I dread the thought of moving but this house is taking some keeping up to now.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2018, 11:48 PM

I would love to live somewhere quieter, but I don't think I could face all the stress involved now, with viewings/solicitors/estate agents/packing and unpacking etc.
I really do need more greenery around me though, I'm not a town person at all.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2018, 09:29 AM

We downsized to a three bed detached getting on for six years ago. It is still quite sizeable with large lounge, kitchen with sunroom and study for my husband. I suppose in the future we might have to consider buying a bungalow if the present house gets too much to manage, and the stairs are a problem.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2018, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

It can be done Sam.

It is painful and you have be ruthless.

Today I have done 17 large bags and boxes.

Four for the charity shop,four for the tip and the rest for a car boot and ebay.

I really do not need to keep a large self sharpening chainsaw.
No you don't

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top