Join for free
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2018, 11:58 AM

Re: Should animal charities bring in dogs from overseas ?

There are a lot of dogs being brought into both Canada and the US, many of them feral.

I've heard of at least two rescues that have made it a money-making exercise - they bring in unusual looking dogs, call them 'rare' or the like and take in the money without doing any of the usual reputable rescue things like home checks, etc.

So in light of that, I think that the money would be best put towards shelters, neutering, etc. in their own countries.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2018, 01:01 PM

I help a small uk rescue we had this conversation a few times now, answer always is no. We care, care deeply but we can't cope with uk cruelty and neglect cases, there are not enough families for all the dogs that need them.

We shouldn't be importing more.

Personally I worry about price asked for them too, I've seen some places charge almost as much as for a pedigree dog, and no one has any history on many of them.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2018, 01:22 PM

I paid a £200 ' donation ' for my rescue dog .
I think this is fair because of the costs incurred by the rescue if not for any one particular dog but others ( neutering and vaccinations or other ailments ) it also shows commitment .
However the dog sanctuaries in the Uk have too many 'gatekeepers ' who make it difficult to adopt a dog .
They set the bar too high so people just get fed up and go and buy a dog .
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2018, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by CeeCee ->
I also donate and support the Dogs Trust here, so do my bit for UK strays.
I also support Dogs Trust via direct debit. My chosen dog , as all of them are , is one I can go to visit at the center he lives in should I wish to.

I really am against the be bringing in of dogs from other countries because of the many, many abandoned ones here .
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2018, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I think this is fair because of the costs incurred by the rescue if not for any one particular dog but others ( neutering and vaccinations or other ailments ) it also shows commitment .
However the dog sanctuaries in the Uk have too many 'gatekeepers ' who make it difficult to adopt a dog .
I agree the sanctuary I support has rules bug they aren't silly ones. We just want to know the dog will be loved and safe.

I don't think a big garden or being on a flat make any difference to if you can do that.
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2018, 02:48 PM

I noticed this when looking at rescue agencies plus some said you cannot even pick a dog but a suitable dog that they have picked will be brought out to see you after forms completed and a home inspection. One place even asked for references from a vet or someone similar.
I can understand how they want to place dogs in suitable homes but I think its gone too far this way now.

I sent out emails to rescue centres who were saying on their websites they were desperate for people to adopt.
I described me, my lifestyle, previous dog experience, my home and garden, the park next door with the long enclosed dog run, I paced it out 525 yards, took photos even shot video of house and garden. I have a car for outings and was prepared to travel to be interviewed and collect dog.
Explained to them I live near a canal with lovely long towpath walks, and I won't be holidaying abroad so dog will come with me on holidays in UK, dog friendly hotels or even camping in the better weather.
I mean, a dogs not just a pet, its a lifetime commitment and companion.

Guess how many replies I received.......None.

I've put the search on hold at the moment while I'm doing the house and garden makeover as I don't want to confuse a dog with carpets and furniture being replaced as well as decorating after the flood before my dog settles down at home with me first, but when I look again I'm going to buy privately.

And after my moan.
No I don't think that agencies should bring in more dogs or cats here but instead help set up agencies to look after them there.
I suppose there are agencies that do proper checks on importing these animals but there will be others who will do minimal checks just to make a profit and it would be difficult to check who is who once making money is involved as per usual.
I have nothing against people who want to adopt animals from abroad but it should be well regulated.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2018, 10:29 PM

No we shouldn't import dogs. We have enough unwanted or abandoned dogs languishing in sanctuaries or rescue centres as it is, why add to the populations of these organisations?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2018, 12:05 AM

They set the bar too high so people just get fed up and go and buy a dog

Yes, I agree. I have heard this time and time again how some rescues make adoption so difficult.

I'm half expecting at some point, that Rabies will be imported at some point. Maybe not so much from the official rescues, but those third parties who bring over litters with false papers in the boot of their car.
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2018, 03:14 AM

I just saw that happen here - my niece was turned down by a rescue because she works all day. (Um, excuse me rescue people but that's how she can afford to buy dog food, pay vet bills etc.!!)
I am trying to direct her elsewhere, but she's fed up and will most likely look for a dog via an online classified ad site, and will probably be supporting a backyard breeder.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2018, 04:45 AM

You can come and get as many feral dogs as you like, anything to get rid of them.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top