Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2018, 03:23 PM

Re: Should animal charities bring in dogs from overseas ?

Originally Posted by lovemyboys ->
I just saw that happen here - my niece was turned down by a rescue because she works all day. (Um, excuse me rescue people but that's how she can afford to buy dog food, pay vet bills etc.!!)
I am trying to direct her elsewhere, but she's fed up and will most likely look for a dog via an online classified ad site, and will probably be supporting a backyard breeder.
The trouble is many rescues come with their own baggage in ours it's a very rare dog we will rehome to a full time worker, even good breeders often have rules about that.

I don't think it's impossible to work full time with some dogs but they aren't usually rescues who are traumatised already.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2018, 03:39 PM

My daughter was turned down by a rescue centre because she works full time. Six months ago she rehomed a Border Collie privately, whose owners were to old to walk her. The dog gets an hour's walk first thing in the morning (6 a.m), then my daughter comes home at lunchtime and walks her again, and then when she gets home. Finally she gets a quick walk at 10 p.m. So four walks a day. How many dogs get that? She did this for fourteen years with her old retriever too.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2018, 03:40 PM

I must admit, I never let a pup go if no one was there all day - sorry LMB.
People say it's OK because they pop home lunchtime, but half hour of company out of perhaps 8 or 9 hours left looking at a wall, isn't enough, especially for a puppy straight from the nest.
Not enough for a traumatised adult from a troubled background either IMO.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2018, 03:44 PM

I've never left any of mine more than two hours if I can help it obviously emergencies have happened, but it's not just how many walks IMO as mine get four too being in a flat with no garden they have to be walked fairly often, but it's company they need.

It's a rare dog that is so independent they don't miss their humans.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2018, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I've never left any of mine more than two hours if I can help it obviously emergencies have happened, but it's not just how many walks IMO as mine get four too being in a flat with no garden they have to be walked fairly often, but it's company they need.

It's a rare dog that is so independent they don't miss their humans.

I agree with that, Julie.
Anyway, how on earth would you house-train a puppy if you weren't there? They would be peeing & pooing all day long, let alone crying for it's Mum and siblings.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

21-01-2018, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I agree with that, Julie.
Anyway, how on earth would you house-train a puppy if you weren't there? They would be peeing & pooing all day long, let alone crying for it's Mum and siblings.
Yes I often hear of toilet training problems when I ask about them it usually turns out a puppy is being expected to wait four or more hours to go and their little bodies can't cope with that at all.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

21-01-2018, 04:09 PM

Yes I often hear of toilet training problems when I ask about them it usually turns out a puppy is being expected to wait four or more hours to go and their little bodies can't cope with that at all.

Not only that, they'd get in the habit of going indoors too, so house training would be a nightmare.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2018, 04:45 PM

The trouble is many rescues come with their own baggage in ours it's a very rare dog we will rehome to a full time worker, even good breeders often have rules about that.

I don't think it's impossible to work full time with some dogs but they aren't usually rescues who are traumatised already.
You're not kidding. A friend of mine had to jump through hoops to fulfill all the requirements to get a rescue dog - she's always had Alsations and eventually managed to acquire one. It attacked her grandson leaving him injured and it had to be destroyed. Naturally, she's totally devastated. A pity some of these rescue centres don't vet their dogs as well as they do their prospective owners.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

21-01-2018, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
You're not kidding. A friend of mine had to jump through hoops to fulfill all the requirements to get a rescue dog - she's always had Alsations and eventually managed to acquire one. It attacked her grandson leaving him injured and it had to be destroyed. Naturally, she's totally devastated. A pity some of these rescue centres don't vet their dogs as well as they do their prospective owners.
I do agree Judd, we've had several rescues in our home, I'm always extremely careful what I take on with kids here. Jenny is an oldie not a bad bone in her but we are careful not knowing her background who she is allowed to play with.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2018, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by CeeCee ->
My daughter was turned down by a rescue centre because she works full time. Six months ago she rehomed a Border Collie privately, whose owners were to old to walk her. The dog gets an hour's walk first thing in the morning (6 a.m), then my daughter comes home at lunchtime and walks her again, and then when she gets home. Finally she gets a quick walk at 10 p.m. So four walks a day. How many dogs get that? She did this for fourteen years with her old retriever too.

But the dog has to spend hours of time alone walking is not all a dog needs .
I can't think why anyone who works full time wants a dog .
Wouldn't they be better with a couple of guinea pigs ?

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top