Join for free
Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2018, 10:50 PM

Re: Dementia

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I think there is some confusion between dementia and depression here

Dementia isn't depression it's plaque growing in the brain .
Thus it takes many different forms sometimes as well as failing memory there loss of sight or mobility .The person is no longer the one they were they don't recognise their loved ones and may become violent and difficult.
It's very sad and nothing to do with being affluent or poor .

Depression is deep and chronic sadness but has few physical symptoms .
Yes there is Im glad that you posted that , depression although awful has nothing to do with Dementia
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2018, 01:03 AM

More re dementia

https://www.onhealth.com/content/1/d...brain_disorder
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2018, 01:55 AM

Yes Annie some cures make the condition worse as it is often trial and error with Doctors
Also many Herbs and Vitamins are toxic taken to excess,
and people like to treat themselves with wonder cures from the internet.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2018, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
I find this post offensive because the poster doesn't seem to know what he/she is talking about.
I was offended too, I just can't remember why...
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2018, 07:38 PM

My husband has Alzheimers. At present he's light - moderate.

At no time has he shown any signs of depression though he frequently tells me it could drive him mad if he let it.

I bank on his cheerfulness making life bearable.
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK
Flowerpower is female  Flowerpower has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2018, 08:28 PM

A male friend of mine was diagnosed with dementia a few months ago. he is just 64.

My mother has alzheimers but is nearly 94. Its very sad but she isnt deteriorating too rapidly so we try and take each day as it comes. She was diagnosed 16 months ago.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2018, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
My husband has Alzheimers. At present he's light - moderate.

At no time has he shown any signs of depression though he frequently tells me it could drive him mad if he let it.

I bank on his cheerfulness making life bearable.
Carol can he be helped by medication ? I have a friend whose husband light -moderate takes something prescribed.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2018, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
Carol can he be helped by medication ? I have a friend whose husband light -moderate takes something prescribed.
Yes he's on medication that's supposed to slow it down but the way he's forgetting people and events is very worrying.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2018, 11:46 AM

Our local Doctor started started running memory tests, a couple of years ago.

I was asked to count backwards, tell him who the PM is, etc & then he would tell me a postal address which I would be asked to repeat back to him later in the tests.

Today, in the Telegraph, they are reporting that this test was not good enough and that future memory retention tests must be taken over a couple of visits - with several days in between.

Apparently this new test will be much better in picking up irregularities and will mean that diagnosis will be much earlier - when treatment might still be viable.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2018, 01:25 AM

Now that there is a blood test to look for Alzheimer’s these tests are all a bit old fashioned.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-0...st-qld/9380716

Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top