Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2018, 05:37 AM

Re: Flu

I’ve had a jag some months ago but prey I don’t catch it here in hospital... it seems to have peaked and troughed in Scotland, or so I am told.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2018, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Milk always increases my mucus production so I always advice avoiding it if you have a cold or flu or chesty cough. It just makes matters worse for me so I assumed it would for most people.
Skim milk should be ok. I mentioned milk because it's the best drink to hydrate you. You can also drink sugary drinks but when I was really sick water didn't work at all. I ended up in hospital dehydrated.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2018, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Skim milk should be ok. I mentioned milk because it's the best drink to hydrate you. You can also drink sugary drinks but when I was really sick water didn't work at all. I ended up in hospital dehydrated.
Or if you are a snorer.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2018, 03:39 PM

Apparently milk and mucous is a myth according to research. It's just the sensation of the emulsion coating the throat that feels unpleasant, but can be avoided with soy or other milk substitutes. The most important factor is to make sure you drink a suspension as that's the way to retain fluids for longer in the body. I think ribena was my choice at the time but it's so sweet and sickly that it can't be too good in large quantities.

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/2017...ou-have-a-cold
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2018, 11:56 PM

I love milk !
Have to say I don't suffer from mucus or phlegm.
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2018, 01:07 PM

anyone that tells me they have had 24 hour flu are talking through their hat. There is no such thing. Flu is not a thing that can go in 24 hours nor in 7 days, we have still got it and it is awful. Nothing a Doctor can do, its a virus , so anti biotics do nothing. You cough , you shiver , you sweat, you ache, you sleep, you dont want to eat
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2018, 01:11 PM

Oh dear, poor Mr. & Mrs. Norway.
Hope you both feel much better real soon.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2018, 01:48 PM

I was only thinking the other day, about the massive epedemic of Australia Flu that was forecast to be on its way to the U.K. People were rushing out to get the flu injection.
Besides a few in Scotland and a few around the country, I have not heard of anyone suffering with flu of any kind!
Colds and virus’s, Yes, but not flu.

Norway, l hope you and your wife are feeling better.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2018, 10:52 PM

The flu virus debacle in hospital with everyone coming into my room wearing a flu mask was bizarre. Even though I tested negative for the flu, I had spent 24 hours in the room as someone with it.

Then there were the trips down to radiotherapy, looking like Michael Jackson where I had to wear the mask myself or anywhere outside my room - those were strange, and I felt self-conscious.

I've got anti flu medication Relenza to take as well as some medication to treat thrush which they suspect I could have contracted.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top