Join for free
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2018, 01:39 PM

Re: Assisted dying

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Is it to do with the vows ? They take very different vows one to do no harm and prolong life and the other to do no harm at all ?

I don't know what vows they take Julie, but I do think he has made a valid point.

As regards 'harming' someone, it depends whether you see assistant someone as 'harming' or 'helping' doesn't it.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2018, 01:42 PM

I agree that we should be given the choice, as Mups says, the law is hypocritical.

And I COULD help someone do it, as long as it's what they truly want and it would mean an end to their suffering.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2018, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I started a thread about this subject last year. It was brought about by a veterinary article but I thought he offered a very valid comment about humans at end of life too.
. . . . . . . .

He said if he, as a vet, were to allow a patient to suffer, and/or to be in pain, and refused to carry out euthanasia if the suffering was overwhelming and the pain immeasurable, he would quite rightly be struck off the veterinary register.

But he then says yet if humans suffer pain that could not be controlled, or were diagnosed with a terminal condition that would undoubtedly lead to such suffering - like motor neurone disease - we are not allowed to make official arrangements to end our own life and nobody would be allowed to help us do so if we decided to end it.
Any doctor who did help would be struck off the medical register for carrying out a humane action, that if he, as a vet, would be struck off for not carrying out.
He thinks the situation is ludicrous and although I know it is highly sensitive and debatable, I am inclined to agree with his point of view here.

. . . . . . . .

He is right. Vets would be in trouble for letting an animal suffer, yet Doctors would be in trouble for NOT prolonging suffering.
My answer is Yes, we should be able to judge for ourselves when we've had enough, but I don't think I could 'help' someone else do it.

I would have no problem helping someone die if it was legal, and I was sure that it was their decision, and they weren't under pressure from others to make it.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2018, 01:44 PM

I don't know what vows they take Julie, but I do think he has made a valid point.

As regards 'harming' someone, it depends whether you see assistant someone as 'harming' or 'helping' doesn't it.
Yes indeed and you are right it does depend how you see it.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2018, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
The young should take priority over the old, imo, as the NHS is strapped for cash.
Why?
I was about to agree with you on assisted dying ... but not that bit. Not the way you now make it sound ... as in, it's a cost effective way of getting rid of older people.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2018, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Why?
I was about the agree with you on assisted dying ... but not that bit. Not the way you now make it sound ... as in, it's a cost effective way of getting rid of older people.
It's things like that will mean we never get assisted deaths on this country, it scares off anyone thinking about it.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2018, 02:34 PM

I also wonder how many people would also try to 'help someone along' whether the poor bugger wanted it or not.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

08-02-2018, 02:39 PM

I also wonder how many people would also try to 'help someone along' whether the poor bugger wanted it or not.
That's why it has to be voluntary and from a young age planned with the medical services. So that someone can speak up in your defence if anyone is trying to rush you off.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2018, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Why?
I was about to agree with you on assisted dying ... but not that bit. Not the way you now make it sound ... as in, it's a cost effective way of getting rid of older people.
The young have their lives ahead of them, the old will kick the bucket sooner. Obviously if the NHS wasn't strapped for cash then everyone should get equal treatment, but until then, the young should be first in the queue. Of course criminals, of whatever age, should be the very last to received treatment
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2018, 03:03 PM

Well let's start with serial murderers and child killers bump them all off and save the country money .

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top