Join for free
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2018, 06:58 PM

Difflam throat spray

Anyone know this product?

I've been suffering with this blasted throat virus for seven days now so this morning I called my surgery for advice.
Lovely receptionist said only emergency appointments otherwise two weeks.

She suggested going along to have a chat with the local pharmacist, which I was going to do anyway, and if he advised it then call again and theyd fit me in.

Temperature is down today, no energy, throat still feels odd, though not concrete blocks at the back like before, voice still croaky...the pharmacist didn't look down my throat (didn't blame him!) he said he couldnt diagnose only the doctor could do that.
He asked me lots of questions and said it sounded like the tail end of the virus...sold me this throat spray, Difflam.

So on Monday if I dont feel a whole lot better im to call the surgery again...

Only one thing...Ive never used a throat spray before, and all its doing is making me gag so a waste of seven quid and nothing achieved
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2018, 07:26 PM

Re: Difflam throat spray

Don't know about it Ruthio, but be careful in buying things over the counter, because you might buy something that you can't mix with other medications, I tried to buy a Nasal spray only a week ago, but the Pharmacy would not sell it to me because I am on Blood Pressure tablets, so it might be better to talk to your Doctor first before buying anything.

Just looked it up, it cost £6.49.

Not to be used if you suffer from Asthma or allergic to Asprin.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2018, 08:42 PM

Thanks Susie I didnt know that.
He did suggest that alternatively I could gargle with dispersible aspirin
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2018, 08:51 PM

I usually gargle with TCP and hot water. The only throat spray I've found useful is Aboca Salvigol Throat Spray 30ml which I was sold in Spain and then found on Amazon. It seemed to have a lot of natural ingredients. I think I've used Difflam in the past and it just numbs the back of your throat and tastes horrid.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2018, 09:24 PM

A spoonful of manuka honey would smooth your throat and fight infection as it's a natural antibiotic.

I can't take it myself as I hate honey but I've heard some very good reports.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK

16-02-2018, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
A spoonful of manuka honey would smooth your throat and fight infection as it's a natural antibiotic.

I can't take it myself as I hate honey but I've heard some very good reports.
Thanks carol
My usual gargle is three drops each of essential oils of tea tree and lemon in small glass of warm water.
Generally works a treat.
Just thought this might be worth a try...silly me, back to the tried and tested!

You better now? Your virus lasted ages didn't it?
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2018, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
I've been suffering with this blasted throat virus for seven days now so this morning I called my surgery for advice.
Sorry to hear this Ruthio.

Really you just need to wait this one out. I had a sore throat 2-3 weeks ago too. It wasn't any kind of flu virus so I assumed a bacterial infection.

From what you've said you've had a temperature, which is good. I hope you didn't try to bring it down with paracetamols/aspirins etc. If you did then you've exacerbated your condition and that will be why it's taking so long to clear.

When your throat is sore what that means is that the bacteria or virus has been there for some time already and your body has been busy nuking/killing your throat wall cells. It can't directly kill the virus so it kills the entire throat cell that the bug has attached itself to thus starving it of its food source.

As the bacteria/virus replicates and multiplies your own body kills more and more of your throat cells resulting in a raw sore or lumpy throat.

There is no medication that will help this. Just like burning your skin, your body now need time to regenerate the lost throat cells. Nothing to be done I'm afraid but wait days or weeks until that healing process is over.

Key thing is not to obstruct that process.

I did my usual thing of making a hot drink of blitzed lemons and ginger with some honey, leaving the drink to go tepid before drinking. It boosts your immune system and provides some relief.

Avoid hot drinks and food and just think of your throat as having been badly burnt. It's a wound, it needs time to heal and be treated gently.

ATB
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK

17-02-2018, 12:18 AM

Thanks Realist (et al), yes I know...just wait it out...and no I sweated it out...but I have been concerned it was tonsillitis.
My throat was not sore, it was seized up, felt like concrete blocks at the back each side when I swallowed...thats tonsils!

But my gargle with essential oils of tea tree and lemon in warm water always works for me.

This time it felt different...hence my trip to the pharmacist.

But I dont ache any more so Im hoping the pharmacist was right and its already burning itself out.

More ginger and lemon tea coming up!!

Interesting what you say about not obstructing the healing process...several times this last week ive had to drag myself out when it was the very last thing I wanted to do, so there you go; an unwanted but necessary trip to the dentist, an unwanted but essential trip to the hospital for removal of stitches, and so on...
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2018, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Thanks carol

You better now? Your virus lasted ages didn't it?
Yes thanks Ruthio. I've just got a bit of a lingering cough but I'm more or less better now.

I've never had a virus last this long before - almost 2 months!!!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top