Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2018, 06:29 PM

Re: Winter Olympics?

Originally Posted by Tezza ->
1 gold and 3 bronze I think to date. Not a huge return for all the money and effort. But having said that I think we should take part, after all we are a sporting nation.
Tbh, I didn't know we did spend money on it, I thought they were all sponsored or paid for themselves. I used to work with a young girl who took part in the summer Olympics and she had to pay for her own flights and accommodation.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2018, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
Who cares? There are much more important things to be concerned about in this world of ours.
And plenty of less important things.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2018, 06:32 PM

The TV in my hospital room was so small I had to come right up close to it to see what was going on. Not having a TV at home I was shocked by the number of adverts for sugar and gambling although there were some interesting programmes on Freeview if I had the inclination. The Winter Olympics is every 4 years so must hold a spell for some.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2018, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I wanted to see the figure skating and ice dance but missed it. On other occasions it has been on late at night which was great but hasn't been this time and it isn't the same recording it as watching live .

The BBC are broadcasting the Olympics 24 hours a day, on BbC 1 until 6 a.m. then it moves over to BBC2. I also watch on the red button, to try and avoid Clare Balding whom I cant stand.
basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2018, 06:56 PM

I watched it live when the young ladies N***le dropped out in a dress malfunction in a ice skating event whoooeeeeeee LOL.
Tezza
Kent
Tezza is male  Tezza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2018, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Tbh, I didn't know we did spend money on it, I thought they were all sponsored or paid for themselves. I used to work with a young girl who took part in the summer Olympics and she had to pay for her own flights and accommodation.
As did I. I expect those shouting loudest during the programme were not of the sporting variety.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2018, 07:03 PM

A lot of Olympic funding is via the lottery

The more successful we are at a sport, the more money gets thrown at it. We start slipping down the tables and the funding dries up

Cycling, sailing and rowing are getting huge amounts of money as we are likely to win medals I think last Olympics there was concern at one point that we didn't do as well in the cycling as expected so funding was cut
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2018, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
The two girl Bobsleigh that came 8th, did 'Crowd Funding' from the public to get them there .
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2018, 10:15 PM

Im not that interested in the speed stuff, but the ladies figure skating this evening was just glorious. So lythe and elegant.

Then the mens ski cross came on and it was awesome!
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2018, 10:27 PM

The British Women's bobsleigh team had to use crowdfunding to even be able to compete and their bobsleigh wasn't to the same standard as the BMW manufactured ones. They still made it to eighth place mind so hopefully they might get some kind of sponsorship deal next time.

In keeping with the Olympic spirit, the Jamaican's women bobsleigh team managed to get some support and funding from the USA's Red Stripe brewery, they didn't have to, bit did as a generous gesture.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top