Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2012, 08:30 PM

Re: Hospital Prank

I must admit that I've always hated practical jokers, as the victim of the prank very rarely finds it funny. Having said that, the nurse's drastic response to such a minor humiliation could never have been forseen and I therefore don't think that the DJs should bear the responsibility for her suicide.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2012, 08:42 PM

I agree Barry.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2012, 09:50 PM

Just read this.......A memorial fund for the family of the dead nurse who was the victim of the royal hoax call has been set up by the radio station responsible for the prank.

Southern Cross Austereo, the parent company of radio station 2Day FM, said the remainder of the profits for 2012 should go to a memorial fund to benefit Jacintha Saldhana's family.

The sum is expected to amount to AUS\$500,000 (£326,000).

It has also cancelled its Christmas party, saying it would be "inappropriate" to go ahead with the celebrations, and would instead donate the money it would have spent to charity

I agree, that it was a bewildering reaction from the nurse!
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2012, 10:52 AM

I believe that the aussies thought their prank would have been spotted as soon as the call was answered. Unfortunately typically of our country now the hospitals are full of foreign nurses. I am sure an English nurse would have realised straightaway. I feel really sorry for the DJs. Lots of youngsters play a prank on someone and thats all it was intended to be.

And has been said already the nurse must have been in an unstable state to react the way she did. Its debatable whether she should have been working as a nurse.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2012, 01:20 PM

I agree with you Oldbugger, there must have been something else wrong with the Nurse to commit suicide, you wouldn't just kill yourself over a joke.
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2012, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
I agree with you Oldbugger, there must have been something else wrong with the Nurse to commit suicide, you wouldn't just kill yourself over a joke.
Indeed, but everybody seems to overlook that and blame the easiest people to blame - the DJs.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2012, 05:27 PM

I read today that the nurse was 46, so not a young girl, as I believed at first, her children were 14 and 16 years old. She didn't actually take the call, she merely transferred it to the ward!
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2012, 02:40 PM

May I propose this theory? Many Indians have a great respect for out Royal Family, they also are fearful of causing their families a loss of 'face' or shame. Thus not only having been the person who put the call through, but also having it broadcast far and wide that she was the one, is it possible that she felt that she had brought this terrific shame down on her family back in India and therefore felt her only way of redeeming herself was suicide?

However my biggest query in all of this is why was a nurse manning the switchboard??
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2012, 06:03 PM

You could be right but if that's the case I see that as very immature.

Sorry to sound so cold and heartless but to end your life and leave your kids without a mother and husband without a wife for THAT is just asinine.

That is why I believe she must have had other issues in life.
Pink Lady
New Member!
Perth Australia
Pink Lady is female 

27-12-2012, 02:28 PM

As an Aussie I was shocked over this , I believe that the nurse must have also had other issues , as it seemed silly to have taken such extreem measures over a joke ( gone wrong ) As for the DJ 's , it was typical Aussie humour , but I have read that the management of the radio station approved the prank before it went to air , and the two DJ's are getting all the blame . I also read that they are both extreemly depressed over the whole issue , and feel really bad about it , but my feeling is , if you want to dish out #### expect to get #### thrown back at you . I also agree with The Dog Lover that anyone of English decent would have seen through the prank immediately , and I dont believe that the DJ's ever expected to have got through to the ward .

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top