Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2018, 08:34 PM

Getting rid of lawns

I have a small lawn now which will be difficult to mow as there are shrubs planted in it, stepping stones, bird baths etc.
It gets very boggy in one spot when it rains and very hot in summer, my neighbour tells me.

I'm thinking of getting rid of it but my last garden, on which I put chippings down, got full of weeds (it was very large and next to derelict gardens). I am thinking of fake grass, although it goes against my gardening instincts, or bark.
The chippings in the front garden have reflected the sun and scorched some plants when it's sunny.

What have you replaced lawn with if anything?
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2018, 07:10 AM

Re: Getting rid of lawns

We have our rear garden Landscape, we had the Professionals come in and do it, but to get rid of the weeds, you will have to put a Membrane down first, then cover with chippings or bark.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2018, 08:15 AM

Not an easy job getting rid of a lawn, it’s very hard work so you might be best getting someone in, as susi j says bark chipping or pea gravel but put a membrane down first
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2018, 09:01 AM

I agree you should get someone in to take the lawn up unless you are very fit, so then you have the choice of whether to turn the whole area into an herbacious border or cover with some type of weed suppresant fabric and inert attractive surfacing material.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2018, 12:45 PM

I agree with Barry. It'll cost, but better to get some professional help.

How big are the shrubs? Will you be able to transplant them if they are lifted out carefully, or are they too big?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2018, 09:07 PM

No money, I wonder if they'd take payment in kind?
The shrubs are ones I brought with me, I had to plant them quickly because of the weather
The weed supressant membrane I had in my old garden was useless, the weed seeds blew over from derelict gardens and just planted themselves in it!
Has anyone used that fake grass and is it any good?
I can't cut grass any more and just want something that looks tidy.
I need somewhere to sit and for the pets and great grandkids to run about.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2018, 09:14 PM

I haven't any experience of the artificial grass, Tess, but have seen it in green, pink and blue! There are also all different qualities, some look much more 'real' than others.

Another thing to consider is - you have animals don't you, same as me, so I believe where they go toilet, you have to hose it down to clean it.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

28-04-2018, 09:19 PM

That might be more hygenic than on real grass Mups!
I dunno, it's growing so fast out there and I really don't have the energy!
I thought of bark but I won't spot the cat poo!
...and my dog doesn't...
bark that is, she does poo though!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

28-04-2018, 10:06 PM

I'll post a photo tomorrow, it's very small about 8' x 10 with another bit about 8 x 8, very scruffy with lots of weeds.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2018, 10:11 PM

Don’t forget, artificial grass will only last about 5 years or so

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top