Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2017, 08:47 PM

Re: Ponds, Fish & Plants

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Hi JBR

I am actually on that site already although I haven't asked there yet. I have a large umbrella so I will try your suggestion. I don't think I will need it tomorrow though as rain is forecast for most of the day.

Good luck with the testing, t's unusual for fish to be motionless at this time of year so he might well have a problem.
It's been like that for a couple of weeks now, so I'm hoping it's not going to turn its toes up just yet.

Oh, but fish don't have toes, do they?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2017, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
It's been like that for a couple of weeks now, so I'm hoping it's not going to turn its toes up just yet.

Oh, but fish don't have toes, do they?
No, they don't. but the equivalent is a clamped dorsal fin which can be caused by high PH, stress or illness.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2017, 07:53 PM

No, they don't. but the equivalent is a clamped dorsal fin which can be caused by high PH, stress or illness.
No sign of that either.

In fact, apart from the fact that it just sits (lies) still in the same position, it looks perfectly normal and still 'breathing'.

I'm beginning to think it has been sent to stand on the naughty step.
Cedronella
england
Cedronella is female  Cedronella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2017, 11:18 AM

My fish are running scared at the moment. Something has been in there after them even tough it is netted. When they get frightened they hide for up to a week and I think I have lost them all, then all of a sudden 30something fish come swimming towards me. Its weird.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2017, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Cedronella ->
My fish are running scared at the moment. Something has been in there after them even tough it is netted. When they get frightened they hide for up to a week and I think I have lost them all, then all of a sudden 30something fish come swimming towards me. Its weird.
Yes, it sounds like something has been poking it's nose in. Possibly a heron or a cat (although cat's tend not scoop fish out of water). Herons are stunning birds but a pain the @rse when it comes to ponds.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

22-07-2017, 03:14 PM

No sign of that either.

In fact, apart from the fact that it just sits (lies) still in the same position, it looks perfectly normal and still 'breathing'.

I'm beginning to think it has been sent to stand on the naughty step.
It might be a 'remainer'.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

22-07-2017, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Cedronella ->
In the past we have had herons, despite the net. Beautiful birds, but a bit thick: they don't realise that they can't get through the net.

The fish are much cleverer. They go down to the bottom and wait for the heron to go.

Don't worry. Eventually the stupid heron realises it's on a hiding to nothing and resolves to go elsewhere.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

22-07-2017, 08:34 PM

JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

23-07-2017, 02:45 PM

I noticed today that this fish's dorsal fin is now going black!

I googled it and read that this could be 'ammonia burn', which is due to a high level of ammonia in the pond.

However, since I have been testing the water, the ammonia level has always been zero.

My main concern is that the other 17 fish don't contract something that might be infectious.

Any ideas of cause and what to do about it?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

24-07-2017, 08:10 PM

I noticed today that this fish's dorsal fin is now going black!

I googled it and read that this could be 'ammonia burn', which is due to a high level of ammonia in the pond.

However, since I have been testing the water, the ammonia level has always been zero.

My main concern is that the other 17 fish don't contract something that might be infectious.

Any ideas of cause and what to do about it?
I think the usual reason for high ammonia is a build up of debris in the pond, leaves, fish food, sludge etc but that's difficult to see if your water is green. I would probably get a net on the bottom to see if you can scoop some of it out, then do a partial water change (about 20%) and add dechlorinator. There are also treatments for high ammonia. Also you can add a filter booster (bacteria).

It seems a bit odd that only one fish has been affected by it though. I will have a read on some of the sites and see if I can find anything.

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top