Join for free
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 > Last »
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2010, 02:10 PM

Do you leave your Wireless Router on all the time?

In the next couple of days my Broadband is going over to Sky from AOL. Now at the moment I never leave my wireless router switched on 24/7 but alot of people do it seems. When I'm all programmed into Sky and my computer all sorted I have to leave my router left on continually for 10 days which worries me. Apparently the routers don't get hot but I just feel a little bit vulnerable about leaving it switched on all that time. What do others do?
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2010, 03:26 PM

Re: Do you leave your Wireless Router on all the time?

I have both a wireless and a wired one.

Change when one or other plays up, both when using are allways left on.

Its the same as turning your TV off on stand by.

If you have a good circuit breaker on your mains board no prob
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2010, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
I have both a wireless and a wired one.

Change when one or other plays up, both when using are allways left on.

Its the same as turning your TV off on stand by.

If you have a good circuit breaker on your mains board no prob
Thanks for your reply galty. We never leave our tv on stand by at night, only in the daytime.

I'm not sure if we have a good circuit breaker on our mains board or not.

It's a difficult one isn't it I'm a bit of a safety conscience freak as people will know on here.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2010, 04:40 PM

My wireless router is left on 24/7 with no problems.

Also, when we switched over to Sky, we were advised by Mr Sky Fitter to leave the TV on standby all the time....
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2010, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Alicat ->
When I'm all programmed into Sky and my computer all sorted I have to leave my router left on continually for 10 days which worries me.
From what I've been told your biger worry should be security over the wireless part. Make sure you have a fully encrypted link otherwise neighbours or even people parked in the street can easily hack into your computer.

Unfortunately Sky will tell you anything, I wouldn't trust their so called technicians, they know nothing.

And I wouldn't leave it on 24 hours a day if you're not using it, not that I'm a fanatic on energy conservation but the TV on standby does use electricity and it is better to switch of at the mains if only to cut costs, don't care what the Sky installer says
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2010, 06:10 PM

I leave my router on all the time - just make sure you turn your pc off, or put it in sleep mode
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2010, 06:53 PM

Why do you have to leave the router turned on for 10 days, did they say? I know when I set up the Ethernet connection to NTL, they said it might take an hour or so to be recognised. It was almost instant as it turned out. 10 days seems a bit long.

I know we live in a wireless world and that should be OK with the proper security measures in place to stop outsiders using the connection. However, I just don't trust wireless. Both our computers are hard-wired to the router. The most distant one is connected via a 25 metre lead. The router's wireless capability has been disabled.

I always turn my modem and router off at night time, along with the rest of the computer set-up.
Alicat
West Berkshire

06-02-2010, 07:03 PM

Thanks for your replies, still not sure what to do.

Mart, Sky want it left on for 10 days so they can monitor the speed of Broadband.
Alicat
West Berkshire

06-02-2010, 07:05 PM

At the moment we use a Netgear router that weve had for about 3 years and that gets quite hot. Weve got a new Sky router to use when it switches over, maybe they've improved them now so they don't get hot.
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2010, 07:49 PM

Leave it on all the time, .. some have a standby button, . . don't press that either, . . switching them off just causes problems, . . do switch off your PC though.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top