Join for free
Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2016, 11:39 AM

Re: Phony Meat

My wife is vegetarian and has been for about 40 years. I am not but eat mainly veggie meals as I do the cooking and it's easier to have the same. I have great interest in making veggie meals that resemble meat dishes so I use a lot of Quorn and other veggie makes.

Quorn peppered steaks, thinly sliced and pan fried in olive oil make a great alternative to a kebab, stuffed inside a toasted pitta with salad, chilli sauce and perhaps some mayo because pittas can be quite dry.

Some Holland & Barret shops sell packs of sliced meat alternative which I sometimes use as an alternative to crispy duck pancakes. Fried in olive oil until a bit crispy then wrapped in thin wraps with hoisin sauce and sliced spring onions - fantastic. It's hard to tell them from the real thing.

Incidently, Sainsburys sell some nice veggie burgers with mozzarella which are quite nice for a quick meal.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2016, 01:27 PM

Some new medical reserch shows that too much soy in the diet can affect menopausal women and have a negative effect on absorbtion of thyroid hormone in thyroid patients.

Just saying be aware that just because it says healthy on the pack doesnt always mean it is.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2016, 01:34 PM

Yes soy is a bit of a problem but having been eating for so many years I doubt giving up now would have a great effect. I use quorn quite a bit or for balls, sausage type ingredients, a mix of polenta and very fine chopped veggies bound with egg is very nice.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2016, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Cass ->
Some new medical reserch shows that too much soy in the diet can affect menopausal women and have a negative effect on absorbtion of thyroid hormone in thyroid patients.

Just saying be aware that just because it says healthy on the pack doesnt always mean it is.
I haven't seen that but it's probably true. Too much of anything is bad for you, particularly anything enjoyable.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

22-03-2016, 04:56 PM

BTW, it's nice getting to 'speak' to female forum members and hear their views and opinions. Having spent so many years on another forum which was 99.9 per cent male, it makes a refreshing change. I need time to adjust to the politeness.
CailinRua
The High Coast
CailinRua is female  CailinRua has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2016, 05:11 PM

I have been vegetarian for 20 years and will never return to meat.
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2016, 05:13 PM

Bacon and eggs (or sausages) for breakfast,
chicken, ham, roast beef or pork sangers for lunch ...

and a bloody big steak for dinner
or lamb chops or casserole or fresh fish or prawns or crab or kangaroo or ......

3 meals a day. All meat (with salad or vegies).
Protein, mate !
CailinRua
The High Coast
CailinRua is female  CailinRua has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2016, 05:27 PM

No thank you, Pumicestone.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2016, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Too much of anything is bad for you, particularly anything enjoyable.
Aint that the truth!

A lot of doctors are recomending that people not exceed 60gr of soy based products per day. Considering all the things its worked into now, meat substitutes , puddings , ice cream, etc that is an easy limit to go over.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

22-03-2016, 08:02 PM

Oh well! At least we can eat butter again.

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top