Join for free
Page 99 of 190 « First < 49 89 97 98 99 100 101 109 149 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2017, 11:38 AM

Re: Bob's Bits.

My reasons for visiting Norwich were plenty, I saw Tony Robinson on TV doing the coastal path in Norfolk and it looked interesting. I visited many places while being a courier but the nearest I got to Norwich was just outside at the University. So being as it was my birthday I thought it would be a good idea to stay for a couple of days and have a look at the city, and then before coming home just nip up to Sheringham, which also captured my attention.

Norwich did not disappoint, with the splendid cathedral and castle, but not really getting to grips with the many things we didn't have time to see, so before we left, we booked a longer stay later in the year (December) and perhaps see the city in it's Christmas mood.

The visit to Sheringham was disappointing though, it looked like a nice enough place but when we arrived there must have been some kind of Gala going on with bunting stretched between the lampposts and people overflowing onto the road. Queue's of traffic with nowhere to park, and even longer queue's at the restaurants and cafe's so no chance of getting something to eat....So after crawling my way through, we hit the road. Busy places are not my cup of tea so we'll return at a later date.

Thanks Twink, twas a very good hotel with excellent food and comfy beds, the two most important things these days.....After a glass of red wine I'm anybody's, can't drink like I used to, and usually fall asleep.....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2017, 11:29 AM

The humidity wrapped itself around me like a second skin as I stepped outside at six thirty this morning. Not a breath of wind, but with plenty of standing water around I realised we must have had a decent downpour last night. The first mile always seems hard these days, but by the time I crossed the railway line and out into the country I managed to 'find the zone'. A feeling of weightlessness and relaxation.

I jogged painlessly around country lanes with the occasional good morning from farmers beginning their days work. Cars were few and far between except for the old bloke who wasn't looking where he was going and almost ran me down, fortunately he saw me at the last minute and swerved out of the way. It's not as bad as it sounds, I never listen to music, and am always aware of what's happening around me, plus looking for an escape route on the verge, usually available....As am I....

And so It was for six miles, until the darkening sky suddenly released its collection of water all at once. Within minutes my tee shirt hung on me like a line of sodden washing, and the once dry road became a torrent of muddy water. There was nothing to do but carry on as cold water filled my shoes and I squelched the last two miles home, but you know what? The feeling of euphoria was immense as I closed the door behind me and pondered on one of my better runs despite the rain.....
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2017, 12:34 PM

Foxy maybe the rain distracted you from the problems you have had recently. Whilst you were focusing on your soggy shoes and the torrent of muddy water, that was once the road, perhaps it took you mind off the other concerns?
I mention this because a friend, who has been suffering from Sciatica, was rushed into hospital with Sepsis but is now home recovering. She told me that she hadn't noticed the sciatica, since the Sepsis, but knew it hadn't just disappeared. It will be interesting to see if it comes back when she has totally recovered from the blood poisoning
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2017, 12:52 PM

I love reading about your exploits OGF

I'm going to Scarborough (again !) for the weekend tomorrow and I plan to visit Ravenscar ( the town that never was !!!!) and walk to Robin Hood's Bay ... not on the coastal path though as it sounds a bit scary to do on my own ... I''ll walk on the cinder track as an easier option. I'm also going to Beverley.

Interesting to read about your trip to Norwich ... it's nearly 40 years since I was there so I've booked a coach trip to Great Yarmouth in November which includes an excursion to Norwich and one to Cromer (another place on my "must see" list) ... and I hope to visit Sherringham using the local buses.

Keep up the good work
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

20-07-2017, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Foxy maybe the rain distracted you from the problems you have had recently. Whilst you were focusing on your soggy shoes and the torrent of muddy water, that was once the road, perhaps it took you mind off the other concerns?
I mention this because a friend, who has been suffering from Sciatica, was rushed into hospital with Sepsis but is now home recovering. She told me that she hadn't noticed the sciatica, since the Sepsis, but knew it hadn't just disappeared. It will be interesting to see if it comes back when she has totally recovered from the blood poisoning
Most of my problems have been either heat related or non-specific Twink.
It could also be heart related. I would be surprised if I had come away unscathed after a couple of heart attacks. I don't suppose my engine (heart) can develop the same horsepower as it once could. However, it is possible to run and not notice pain and/or injury, that is, until the run is over. It would be impossible to run marathons if this was not the case. Endorphins are magical little things....

Running has its ups and downs Twink, and if you never had a bad run, how would you know when you were having a good one.....Its still a wonderful hobby and if I was put off after having a couple of bad runs I would probably be happy sitting on a riverbank dangling a worm in the water instead....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

20-07-2017, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by myrtle ->
I love reading about your exploits OGF

I'm going to Scarborough (again !) for the weekend tomorrow and I plan to visit Ravenscar ( the town that never was !!!!) and walk to Robin Hood's Bay ... not on the coastal path though as it sounds a bit scary to do on my own ... I''ll walk on the cinder track as an easier option. I'm also going to Beverley.

Interesting to read about your trip to Norwich ... it's nearly 40 years since I was there so I've booked a coach trip to Great Yarmouth in November which includes an excursion to Norwich and one to Cromer (another place on my "must see" list) ... and I hope to visit Sherringham using the local buses.

Keep up the good work
Thanks Myrtle, its always good to hear from you. Once again we will probably miss each other by just a day or two when you visit Norwich. I can recommend the Ravenscar Tea room for lunch, its well signposted and just a couple of hundred yards down the road.
I'll be along the coast in Hornsea doing one of my favourite walks....The weather forecast looks promising for tomorrow Myrtle, good walking.....
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2017, 10:31 PM

I did want to visit Hornsea this weekend but the bus/train connections cut it very fine so I've decided to do that another time.

I've read about the tea room and it does sound good ... I'm wondering if I can have a walk round the grounds of the Ravens Hall Hotel ... the views from there look spectacular. I hope they've installed a funicular railway at Robin Hood's Bay
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

20-07-2017, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by myrtle ->
I did want to visit Hornsea this weekend but the bus/train connections cut it very fine so I've decided to do that another time.

I've read about the tea room and it does sound good ... I'm wondering if I can have a walk round the grounds of the Ravens Hall Hotel ... the views from there look spectacular. I hope they've installed a funicular railway at Robin Hood's Bay
The Lyke Wake Walk (my all time favourite walk) used to finish at the bar in the Raven Hall Hotel, but they went all upmarket and didn't want muddy boots clumping all over the new carpets, so now it finishes up by the 'Radio Mast'....

Sorry Myrtle, no railway at Robin Hood's Bay yet, but a splendid fish and chip shop down a little alleyway on the right at the bottom of the hill....Bon Appetit....
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2017, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Most of my problems have been either heat related or non-specific Twink.
It could also be heart related. I would be surprised if I had come away unscathed after a couple of heart attacks. I don't suppose my engine (heart) can develop the same horsepower as it once could. However, it is possible to run and not notice pain and/or injury, that is, until the run is over. It would be impossible to run marathons if this was not the case. Endorphins are magical little things....

Running has its ups and downs Twink, and if you never had a bad run, how would you know when you were having a good one.....Its still a wonderful hobby and if I was put off after having a couple of bad runs I would probably be happy sitting on a riverbank dangling a worm in the water instead....
Well I only mentioned it because, if you were short of things to worry about, maybe I could offer a few suggestions!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

21-07-2017, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Well I only mentioned it because, if you were short of things to worry about, maybe I could offer a few suggestions!
I'd love to hear them Twink......

Page 99 of 190 « First < 49 89 97 98 99 100 101 109 149 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top