Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
mariana
Kent. Uk.
mariana is female  mariana has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2016, 10:46 PM

Re: Gluten Free.

i suppose it is difficult to know if it would help if you gave Gluten up--until you actually give it up--- am tempted to try a wheat free diet for a while to see if it has ant benefits for me--just not got round to it yet. But i know if you have a coeliac problem, Gluten can make you very ill.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2016, 08:06 AM

I have a friend who is Celiac so I have to be careful what I cook for her. There is so much 'hidden' gluten in things - ground white pepper for example - it would not have occurred to me that there was gluten in it but, apparently, it is mixed with flour to stop it clogging!!

Some of the GF bread/cakes etc taste foul but fortunately her partner is a chef and able to adapt most common recipes to gluten free. They seem to use rice flour in a lot of things.
Emilyette
New Member!
Saskatchewan, Canada
Emilyette is female 

25-10-2016, 11:12 PM

Doctor told me I have rheumatoid arthritis, and it's caused by your body attacking itself. I thought that was a stupid thing for a body to do, so I decided to investigate for myself. I did lots of research online and decided to go wheat (and other grains) free and as sugar free as I could. (that's the hard part) I don't have to take pain pills or anti-inflammatories very often, and have the pain under control most of the time. As a nice side effect of getting off wheat......my migraines have stopped! Wheat is GMO and covered in Roundup. So it's not a big deal to give up wheat. I now make coconut flour bread when I feel like I need some. Also makes great cake!
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2016, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by cranberry ->
I have coeliac disease, Nom, and must follow a strict gluten free diet. A lot of the ready made food is high fat and high sugar = bad news.
Fad gf folk can pick and choose what they eat as it isn't necessary for their health and so claim it's a healthy diet..
Some coeliacs can't eat oats, either, even gf ones..
My Wife was diagnosed coeliac around 10 years ago, and her scenario is exactly as you say. I feel really sorry her having to deal with the disease, particularly when we go away on holiday. Even dairy produce is a no no for her.
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2016, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
I have a friend with IBS, his diet is appalling lives off takeaways like kebabs, and no veg or fruit in his food groups.
Gads, no wonder he has gut problems.

I have IBS as well, but I've never tried going gluten-free. Not totally, anyway. Just to test a few products, I've tried gluten-free foods and I can't stand them. So if I'd ever have to go gluten-free for health reasons, I'd be in trouble.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2016, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Linda0818;1028784[B
]Gads, no wonder he has gut problems.[/B]

I have IBS as well, but I've never tried going gluten-free. Not totally, anyway. Just to test a few products, I've tried gluten-free foods and I can't stand them. So if I'd ever have to go gluten-free for health reasons, I'd be in trouble.
Yes Linda and he suffers but wont be told.
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2016, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Yes Linda and he suffers but wont be told.
I know the type. You can't tell them anything. Hopefully he learns before he destroys his colon with rubbish.

I'm not the perfect eater either, but foods that aren't particularly good for me, if eaten at all, are eaten in extreme moderation. I don't believe in completely giving up the occasional naughty food, but for goodness sakes, you can't literally survive on it. At least you shouldn't. If people live on high-fat, processed foods, they'll pay for it eventually.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top