Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2017, 02:26 PM

Re: What do you think about horse riding and racing?

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
It looks so forced the animals don't naturally move like that. I can't see them being happy doing it and I believe they use leads and lead like shackles (probably have a proper technical name) to achieve some poses.
Dressage is supposed to only allow movements that are performed by a horse in its natural state .
All these fancy movements can be seen by young foals playing together in fields .
BUT
Put a weight on a horses back and everything changes .
It has to learn to carry this weight and in order to do those things it once did with gay abandon it has to bring it weight back off the front legs .
This is not natural to the horse but is more natural in some breeds .
Breeds that find this easy are the pure bred Spanish Welsh cobs and ponies ( believe it or not ) and at times the Arab horse .
BUT
These breeds are rarely used in competitive dressage .
Because welsh cobs and ponies are two small and hot .
Arabs although taller are still too small and hot .
And the Spanish horse which by far the most suitable also loses out in competitive dressage .
WHY?
Because all these breeds have a natural showy high knee action and presence which is all well and good .
BUT
British dressage is ruled by judges who favour the large German and eurpeoan warm bloods which are huge and impressive .
Formally these were carriage horses and have a huge stride and extended trot for pulling aristocratic carriages .
Judges love these .
BUT
These big horses find it more difficult to get the weight back on to their hind legs and perform small movements .They are also very powerful and heavier in the front so have to be controlled by more force .
Not all carry themselves with the natural ease of the Arab or Spanish horse ( incidentally both the Welsh cob and Spanish horse have a lot of Arab blood in them)

So dressage is dominated by he sort of horse that finds it's more difficult to do just because the judges favour the more Prussian style .
Although this is changing it's not changing enough .
Their are cruelties in dressage .
They never wear shackles ( trotting horses do )
But they are sometimes subject to Rollkur ( hypertension ) a system of training that over arches their neck causing great pain and distress in breathing to such an extent that their tongues turn blue .
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hM4fKJ9VtfU
unfortunately this is still practised by many successful riders .
Although it is supposedly illegal .

However as things go dressage horses are usually well looked after they have to look good and are not beaten .
You cannot have a dressage horse that is afraid of a whip as it is used as a training aid for signals not punishment .( see Spanish clip below )
There are many other sports with horses that are less than kind but I have bored you all quite enough for one session .

Here is a beautiful Spanish horse doing dressage without any restraints at all ( these include high school movements not asked for in competitive dressage . He seems to be enjoying it even the duck won't leave !
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7Igu_9NBc2g
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2017, 03:09 PM

And despite having said all that I will bore you a bit more by showing the worlds greatest dressage horse who retired to a gentle life of being spoiled rotten last year at the height of his fame .
Our own British Olympic Champion Vallegro

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cDKWnCNpmQA
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2017, 03:25 PM

And yet many consider it cruel I'm one of them. Many animals do things as youngsters you can't expect them to do as adults.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

10-05-2017, 03:43 PM

i have just written a lengthy and illustrated post and your response is but I think it's cruel .
Fine that's your opinion but support with at least a semblance of fact and experience ( if any ) otherwise it looks like a childish answer.
Lots of people DONT find it cruel it's one of the most popular horse sports in the country.
Dressage can be done by anyone young /old /disabled.
Dressage horses tend to live to old age unlike racehorses.
Most animasl do in fact do the same thing when older as young but usually better .
Monkeys are more skilled at climbing trees .
Dogs can run faster and better than puppies .
Kittens play cats hunt
Bears are bigger stronger and cleverer when older
So that doesn't wash perhaps you would like to expound further ?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2017, 03:52 PM

If you google it you'll find many people agree with me, it tends to be people in the sport or industry don't see the cruelty in it. You have to be outside to see it.

I can't help my answer wasn't what you wanted. I believe it's cruel, nothing anyone says will change that because too many other people I actually trust tell me it's very cruel.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2017, 03:55 PM

There are aspects of horse racing and dressage that I have reservations about and wouldn't hesitate to call cruel Julie, so you're not alone.

Of course, it is all a matter of individual opinion.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

10-05-2017, 03:59 PM

People outside the sport often don't know their article from their elbow .
Sometimes they are right.
The trainer of Vallegro Carl Hester is one of the kindest animal trainers in the sport all his horses go out in the field every day and are also hacked out several times a week.He has revolutionised the treatment of dressage horses
I didn't like your answer because it was stupid .
It gives no facts no reasons for your opinion in fact it gave nothing other than the impression that you just want to to play awkward against anything I say.
I often oppose your posts but I always give a reasoned argument .
So sorry your answer is both silly and ignorant .
Yawn the expected Tonto makes an appearance.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2017, 05:32 PM

**** Can people please stick to discussing the topic without resorting to personal abuse.

Some posts will be removed from this thread - please treat threads in our serious sections with the respect they deserve.
Thank you
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2017, 09:12 PM

All I can say is that the happiest looking horses I have seen are those running freely on Dartmoor with no one on their back.

I don't doubt that many horses are loved and cared for and generally kept in top condition but they don't have any choice in matters concerning racing or riding.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

10-05-2017, 09:14 PM

You are right in many ways .
My youngest son a really talented rider stopped riding in his teens .
He said they are all slaves .

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top