Join for free
Page 3 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2017, 02:33 PM

Re: Brexit, what a mess we are in.

So where do we go from here when the EU talks start in a matter of days.
Apparently (although I can't find any figures) there are now a majority of 'leavers' in Parliament.
Corbyn is I closet leaver whatever he may have said in more recent times, both positive points for 'leave'.

Of the two most prominent remainers Clegg has gone, Farron saw his majority cut by 8,172 leaving him only 777 votes ahead of Tory candidate so that doesn't say much for their support .
Even if tactical voting prompted remainders to try to stop our leaving the EU they haven't succeeded so far.

I think we should cut out the white noise of disgruntled remainers/angry Tories/ disappointed Momentum (let's face it they were clearly behind the new face of Corbyn) press on and get behind a wounded May to see what is put on the EU table. There has been too much prevaricating already.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2017, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->

Like you JBR, I almost wish Corbyn could be allowed to run the Country for a couple of years to see how he gets on with taking us out of Europe and delivering on all the promises he has made.
Be careful what you wish for LD , I don't think 'what you see is what you get' with Corbyn.
I feel he is merely the benign bumbling face fronting 'Momentum' the hard left or the Militant Tendency with a new name.

I thought when Corbyn was elected he might have been tamed by age and more moderate labour members but I think not now.

The young who voted for Corbyn in numbers know nothing of the Militant Tendency, not a group who had the best interests of this country at heart.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2017, 02:53 PM

Well I've just heard a wee bit of good news on the radio...Trump has changed His mind about coming to Britain..I think He's in the huff with Us...shame....just when poor Theresa needs Someone to hold Her hand..again
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2017, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Enough of this negative misery!

You sound like a bunch of miserable grumbly old codgers...what's done is done and we are where we are, like it or not.

So...
What's the BEST thing that can happen for this country...positive ideas only please.

Topple May and install Boris?
Ditto and replace her with Rudd?

Anyone got anything POSITIVE to say????

Have a good day, Pollyanna!
Hi

I know you do not like like negativity Ruthio, however there are times when an honest assessment of the situation is required.

Swapping leaders be it May, Corbyn, Boris, Sturgeon or whoever is not going to affect the situation at all.

We are still in a no overall control situation.

This is not an issue in many Countries, they are quite used to working together for the benefit if the country as a whole.

That is anathema to our two main parties so it is not going to happen no matter what the voters want.

To be honest, I think we are in a disaster management situation.

Radical idea, withdraw Article 50 for now, sort ourselves out and then resubmit with a clear plane approved by Parliament as whole.

I can see no benefit at all stumbling along as we are at the moment, which will see us forking out £100 Billion we do not have and losing all our MEPs and representation in the ECJ and still staying in either the Single Market or the Customs Union and still having unlimited Immigration.

The Charge of the Light Brigade was a wondrous thing, it was also incredibly stupid.

Time for a tactical withdrawal and regroup.

The object of the exercise is to win the war.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2017, 03:03 PM

No going back now the die is cast, you all crowed at the referendum result. Tighten you belts and get on with it, that is what you were telling us now you realise just what a mess it is you want to renege?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

11-06-2017, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Radical idea, withdraw Article 50 for now, sort ourselves out and then resubmit with a clear plane approved by Parliament as whole......

..........Time for a tactical withdrawal and regroup.
Gibbs although that seems a credible solution, I feel if we delay our departure from the EU any longer that will be the end of it, the opportunity will be gone for ever for a number of reasons.

We have already suffered the consequences of a year of uncertainty, not good for our economy. It can't go on indefinitely.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2017, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Gibbs although that seems a credible solution, I feel if we delay our departure from the EU any longer that will be the end of it, the opportunity will be gone for ever for a number of reasons.

We have already suffered the consequences of a year of uncertainty, not good for our economy. It can't go on indefinitely.
Hi

I am a technocrat Meg, absolutely no good at Politics at all.

I am quite used to coming up with sensible suggestions which are either instantly dismissed or get me into trouble, often both.

I was asked to come up with an idea to save £1,7 Million a year in staff costs.

I suggested getting rid of 66% of Senior Management.

It was not well received by Senior Management.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2017, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
No going back now the die is cast, you all crowed at the referendum result. Tighten you belts and get on with it, that is what you were telling us now you realise just what a mess it is you want to renege?
Go back to post #11 Purwell.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2017, 05:30 PM

Prior to the Brexit referendum I was in the habit of stating that this country 'has had it'.

Then, when the referendum result was declared, albeit with a small majority, I felt much more optimistic.

After this latest outcome, I'm afraid I have reverted to my earlier pessimistic outlook.

Seventy years ago, when we were facing a distinct threat not only to our freedom but also to our very lives, we as a nation somehow managed to pull together. Of course there was a small minority who, for some reason, seemed to like the idea of becoming a part of the Third Reich.

Since then, sadly, we have been completely unwilling or unable to pull together for the common good. It is, as I have said, a national trait.

In trying to be optimistic, I'm wondering whether if things become even worse and we face an even more serious threat, we might just be able to work together as one to defend ourselves.

However, regressing again into pessimism(!), I'm afraid that we were a different people in the 1940s to what we are now. 'Progress' I suppose some would call it.

Now I don't know what to think.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2017, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Prior to the Brexit referendum I was in the habit of stating that this country 'has had it'.

Then, when the referendum result was declared, albeit with a small majority, I felt much more optimistic.

After this latest outcome, I'm afraid I have reverted to my earlier pessimistic outlook.

Seventy years ago, when we were facing a distinct threat not only to our freedom but also to our very lives, we as a nation somehow managed to pull together. Of course there was a small minority who, for some reason, seemed to like the idea of becoming a part of the Third Reich.

Since then, sadly, we have been completely unwilling or unable to pull together for the common good. It is, as I have said, a national trait.

In trying to be optimistic, I'm wondering whether if things become even worse and we face an even more serious threat, we might just be able to work together as one to defend ourselves.

However, regressing again into pessimism(!), I'm afraid that we were a different people in the 1940s to what we are now. 'Progress' I suppose some would call it.

Now I don't know what to think.
I couldn't agree more. I lost all interest in politics for years until UKIP came along and offered us hope. I think now it is time for me to just accept that Britain is on its way to the sewage works with no treatment available.

Page 3 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top