Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2017, 03:50 PM

Re: Would you stay ?

Whilst I can understand the concerns of flat dwellers, particularly after yesterday's events, we have to put this all in perspective. There are probably thousands of fires every year in flats but they are never on the news because they are contained within the flat. Flats are constructed with concrete floors, masonry walls and as many non flammable materials as possible to prevent any spread of fire and, as Purwell rightly points out, any break between floors for services are, or at least should be, fire stopped. The safest place then under normal circumstances is is to remain within your own flat, for under normal circumstances other residents probably wouldn't even know that a fire had occured elsewhere in the block until after the event.

The Grenfell tower fire was exceptional inasmuch as it spread externally through the use of non fire retardent cladding, although how the fire was transferred to the cladding initially is a very important question that no doubt any subsequent investigation will try to determine.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2017, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
It's often not a choice Meg. People are told go where the work is, well when they do they end up like this cheek by jowl.
If you're reliant on Social Housing you dont have a choice of where you live, many village properties are only given to those who have a connection to that village.

If you're desperate for somewhere to live you take whatever you can get, even then you have to bid for it. Once you accept a high rise flat it's very difficult to move out.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2017, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Whilst I can understand the concerns of flat dwellers, particularly after yesterday's events, we have to put this all in perspective. There are probably thousands of fires every year in flats but they are never on the news because they are contained within the flat. Flats are constructed with concrete floors, masonry walls and as many non flammable materials as possible to prevent any spread of fire and, as Purwell rightly points out, any break between floors for services are, or at least should be, fire stopped. The safest place then under normal circumstances is is to remain within your own flat, for under normal circumstances other residents probably wouldn't even know that a fire had occured elsewhere in the block until after the event.

The Grenfell tower fire was exceptional inasmuch as it spread externally through the use of non fire retardent cladding, although how the fire was transferred to the cladding initially is a very important question that no doubt any subsequent investigation will try to determine.
Hi

I wouldn't stay in a flat in Julies block under any circumstances.

She has removed fire doors.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2017, 04:07 PM

While I agree with Barry our flats are built on land where the last blocks burnt to the ground in the early 80s, it's always been on our minds the last people that lived on this spot.

And I agree tess many have no choice at all.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2017, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I wouldn't stay in a flat in Julies block under any circumstances.

She has removed fire doors.
No I haven't I've removed the closures other flats have removed the doors and replaced them with nicer ones. When they did that we couldn't afford such extravagances but now we can we've lived with these ugly doors so long we can't see any point changing them.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2017, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
No I haven't I've removed the closures other flats have removed the doors and replaced them with nicer ones. When they did that we couldn't afford such extravagances but now we can we've lived with these ugly doors so long we can't see any point changing them.
Hi

My apologies, I must have misread what you had said.

A fire door without a closure however is useless unless you keep it completely closed at all times.

As for the others, in the interests of all those in the block, they should be reported immediately and forced to replace the fire doors.

There are some very nice fire doors around, available in all sorts of styles.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?biw=...k1.Kost1J3YhOA
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2017, 04:24 PM

When I lived in a highrise (7th floor) I decided if I needed to get myself and two toddlers out in a hurry I'd have to lower them down to the next balcony, then myself and work our way down like that.
I saw a man climb up the flats opposite by standing on the balcony railings and heaving himself up to the next one.
If the balconies had steps to lower down, like a loft ladder that might work. At least there'd be a better chance of getting out.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

15-06-2017, 04:24 PM

All our doors still close swim, and we close them at night and when we go out, it's only when we are here they are open.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2017, 04:38 PM

Two threads discussing the same subject running concurrently...

Sorry, I've just commented on the lack of information re fire doors on the other thread!

Now on here swims is saying you can get all kinds of more attractive designs, but the builders of these blocks aren't going to give the residents a choice are they??
They'll just choose the cheapest bog standard fire door.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

15-06-2017, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Two threads discussing the same subject running concurrently...

Sorry, I've just commented on the lack of information re fire doors on the other thread!

Now on here swims is saying you can get all kinds of more attractive designs, but the builders of these blocks aren't going to give the residents a choice are they??
They'll just choose the cheapest bog standard fire door.
Ours are exactly same as the school doors job lot we always thought, you know those with the glass panel down one side with wired glass. Ugly as they come.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top