Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2017, 09:36 AM

Radar key

I didn't know where to put this so thought this might be the best place.

I was thinking of getting a radar key so that Tony could have access to disabled toilets. With arthritis in both knees he finds it a struggle at times - especially when toilets are upstairs and there's no lift.

He has a blue badge so I thought there should be no bother getting one. I went to Google to see how to go about it and was shocked to see you can buy them from Amazon!!

I don't believe they can be the proper thing!!! Surely it's defeating the object if just anyone can buy them online?

Can anybody tell me how do I go about getting a proper radar key that will unlock any disabled toilet?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2017, 09:38 AM

Re: Radar key

I got mine from the Tourist Bureau in Wells, I just had to sign for it, I don't think they even asked to see my Blue Badge, though I can't really remember now.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2017, 09:43 AM

Council gave us one for my mum when she was with us, I tried to give it back but was told there isn't any way to do that so we still have it. I'd guess that's where many are got from to sell, so they are probably the genuine article.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2017, 10:01 AM

I got mine from my local Peacocks, they are widely available Carol, bt some are fakes so the money paid does not go to aid in the upkeep and building of the disabled toilets.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2017, 11:22 AM

A bad situation. We sometimes have to wait outside of a disabled toilet and when the person comes out, they appear to have nothing wrong with them. OK, disabilities and toileting difficulties may not always be obvious but now I'm going to wonder if they really are OK and have simply bought a key.

It didn't ought to be allowed.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2017, 11:39 AM

Our disabled toilets at work do not have special locks, although we have started putting combination locks on some of them because people seemed to think they could smoke in there or maybe vape, and they were setting the fire alarms off. The issue that I see with these toilets is the doors are totally unsuitable for anyone in a wheelchair. The doors are very heavy, you need two hands to unlock them and then push with your shoulder to open the door. Also I think the door should open both ways, otherwise anyone in a wheelchair will have a lot of difficulty getting in there.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2017, 01:31 PM

Some round here have wider doors so access isn't too bad but you are right opening both ways would make them all easier.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2017, 03:33 PM

I tend not to jump to conclusions when I see people who look ok using them.
People could have colostomy bags etc. They need the extra room to manage them.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2017, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I tend not to jump to conclusions when I see people who look ok using them.
People could have colostomy bags etc. They need the extra room to manage them.
Yes that is indeed the case TessA - It's just that knowing the key can be bought by anyone means we can never be sure.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

30-06-2017, 05:19 PM

I know Mart, it defeats the object really.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top