Join for free
Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2017, 10:50 PM

Re: Oh No! Bowel Screening...

I'm glad to have read this thread I thought the Bowel testers had it in for me, I have just received my fourth test to do. Better safe than sorry so I will do it,

I wonder why though as I have friends who live just over the hill and they haven't even had one test yet ...

They must like my poo
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2017, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I have done four or more of these tests and had to do two re-tests!
I am only glad that the test is provided as my dad and his brother had bowel cancer.
I think, l was about 53 when the first kit arrived. It came back unclear and I cried every day until l got the all clear.
You're lucky. I wasn't included until 60 years old.

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I had eaten black pudding which gave the unclear result.

Mental note not to eat black pudding!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2017, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
I agree JBR.
Really how silly some people are!

Realspeed, you don't shove anything up your backside!!!!

Just follow the instructions...
All you do is scrape a little bit of poo with the spatula provided and smear it onto the kit provided, seal it and send it off.
Nothing could be simpler and it might save your life.

Still, up to you...

I agree with you and JBR, ruthio.
I think we are damn lucky to be be offered these tests free of charge in the first place.
Leia
UK
Leia is female  Leia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2017, 07:11 AM

A bit of a silly question/disgusting question. I found it not very nice catching a poo on a folded piece of toilet paper and then scraping a sample from that. Husband says he just wipes his bum and scrapes the sample from the toilet paper. Which is the correct way?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2017, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Leia ->
A bit of a silly question/disgusting question. I found it not very nice catching a poo on a folded piece of toilet paper and then scraping a sample from that. Husband says he just wipes his bum and scrapes the sample from the toilet paper. Which is the correct way?
In the kit I received there was a piece of plastic coated material about 300mm by 400mm which you put in the loo on top of the water and which reached slightly up the sides of the bowl.

You then did your business in the loo (without urinating), dragged the stick (like a plastic tooth pick with a handle) through the feaces on the material, popped it in the tube provided, then flushed the loo. The entire contents disappeared. This was repeated with the second sample the next day. Apparently the plastic material dissolved in water and broke up after it was flushed. It certainly has caused no problems in my sewer.

I received a letter about a fortnight later saying all was well as did my GP. Easy as...
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2017, 12:14 PM

If the kit sent to you is not as Bruce describes, then my suggestion would be to lay some toilet paper in the loo before doing your business to catch a sample.

The screening has certainly come on since I was a volunteer for the very first screening programme in the UK in the 1980's. I worked at the hospital where Ron Parker a consultant bowel surgeon worked and he initiated the first ever bowel screening using us, the staff. It was eventually rolled out in the local area, with our Path Lab staff checking all samples. It was a big day when it was eventually rolled out throughout England only at that time, and our hospital was still the hub for all investigations.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2017, 02:10 PM

Have had 3 of these now.

They had stopped it after you reached 70.

When I used to do it I did the same as your husband.

They extended to age limit to 75 and a month ago I received one.

This time they asked for 2 samples from each end of the Turd.

PS came back as clear.
Leia
UK
Leia is female  Leia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2017, 04:22 PM

Thanks all. I've now found a letter with the instructions (Wales NHS). Three samples over three different days. Do not collect a sample from the toilet water or bowl. Catch the bowel movement in folded pieces of toilet paper. Use one cardboard stick to take a sample. Another stick for second sample from a different part of the bowel movement. The sticks will flush down the toilet. Second and third samples on different days.

So I was right and husband was wrong
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2017, 04:59 PM

Yes PLEASE do it,its a simple test which can save your life,Ive had 2
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2017, 06:46 PM

I can't bear the thought of doing it ... so never have and never will

Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top