Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2017, 08:30 AM

GP appointments

How does the system work at your surgery?
Can you get an appointment easily?

My surgery have long since stopped making advance appointments, we have to ring at 8 am on the day to get in.
The problem with this is, ALL their patients are doing the same so you can rarely get through. By the time you do, all the appointments re gone, so they tell you to ring back tomorrow at 8 a.m. and the whole process repeats again.

Take this morning for example. I have rung the surgery constantly but it is continually engaged.
After ringing 39 times, the phone was answered and I managed to get an appointment to see a Nurse Practitioner this afternoon.

It is the most frustrating booking system ever, and I just wondered how other surgeries work?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2017, 08:44 AM

Re: GP appointments

Hi

We constantly rant on about our NHS being the best in the world.

It isn't it ceased being so many years ago.

It is way worse than many on the Continent.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2017, 08:47 AM

That's really bad , how on earth can a surgery not make future appointments , I don't understand at all . 39 times is unbelievable .

My surgery is good , future apps can be booked by calling in or ringing , I may not get to see my own doctor but I could see any other .
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2017, 08:50 AM

I've got a recurring appointment with one doctor once a month, she personally books me in before I leave her surgery. My complaints worked

I also have hot line to nurse for grace and if she says she needs a GP she goes and fetches one into her room while we are there. Again complaints have worked.

But that's just us after complaining to right person at the surgery. Ujs spirit has come upon me

But it's a scrum to get any other appointments. I've been ringing since 8.30am now 20 calls so far. Engaged constantly.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2017, 09:05 AM

Advance appointments with the doctor of choice takes about 2 weeks.

With any doctor a few days.

Our surgery has a brilliant online booking system. Every night at midnight the names of several doctors comes up with appointments for the next day. This sure beats continuously phoning the surgery at 7.30 am!

I do all my appointments this way. My favourite doctor has to do her turn on this rota so I can usually get to see her within 2 days.

Not so good for patients who haven't got a computer as the receptionist remarked to me....
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2017, 09:49 AM

Ours is the same as yours MUPS, ring at 8am on the day, but you can never get through to them its engaged all the time, if I have to see my GP, I go there at 8am to the Reception and pretend my phone line is down.
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2017, 09:55 AM

I'm the same as Carol and use the online booking system for appointments and repeat prescriptions .... easy peasy
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2017, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by myrtle ->
I'm the same as Carol and use the online booking system for appointments and repeat prescriptions .... easy peasy

I always used to do that system Myrtle, but they have done something to that as well, and it usually says there are no appointments available now.
Sometimes there are some with a Nurse Practitioner, but rarely a doctor. They do occasionally have appointments a month or more ahead on the EMIS system, but you will never get in within a few days, you have to ring up on the day instead.

P.S.

Just checked Emis, and there are no appointments for 5 weeks!
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2017, 11:34 AM

Appointment with my own GP may mean a wait, call early morning for chance of same day appointment with whoever.

BUT if it's urgent you will always be seen on the day, either after 11.30 or around 4.30.

When I found a lump in my breast a few weeks ago I called the surgery straight away, and my doctor called me back within half an hour.
She saw me that afternoon and fast tracked me to the big maternity hospital where they do all the female tests...5 days later I had double mammogram, ultrasound scan, and two biopsies with stitches.
Results came just over a week later...luckily it was benign but the surgeon said he'd have operated "immediately" if it had been malignant.

No complaints here.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2017, 12:09 PM

Our doctor is an idiot but they do now have an online booking system so that you can choose which of the idiots you want to see and when.

It saves having to talk to the dragon on the desk, if you can get through.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top