Join for free
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2017, 08:43 PM

Pain in the head

My friend had a back operation recently and now suffers feom a pressure [like a vice] in her head,only eased by putting her head under cold water. She has been told this is usual,something to do with fluid being drained from the brain, and can take a while to clear. Anyone know of this?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2017, 08:46 PM

Re: Pain in the head

Didn't they tell her what to expect before the op deylon?

That sounds horrible. Is there no help or medication they can give her for the pain?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2017, 09:45 PM

I have heard of it yes, thankfully never experienced it. I'm nit sure there is an answer to it as painkillers don't help from what I understand. Anti inflammatories may I believe. So might be worth trying ibuprofen or similar ?
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2017, 09:49 PM

Cervical, thoracic or lumbar? Headaches are most like caused by muscle spasms in the neck, but it all depends on where the op was and what type of repair.

I suffered for about a month.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2017, 10:29 PM

Poor lady - she has my sympathy.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2017, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by deylon ->
My friend had a back operation recently and now suffers feom a pressure [like a vice] in her head,only eased by putting her head under cold water. She has been told this is usual,something to do with fluid being drained from the brain, and can take a while to clear. Anyone know of this?
After returning home after my first back operation when I sat up I got an instant terrible headache. It was caused by a small hole in the spinal column draining the fluid from the brain (spinal column and brain cavity are all one) and creating a slight vacuum in the brain cavity which causes an awful headache. Lying down flat I was fine.

I was immediately readmitted to hospital and they took a lot of blood from my arm in a massive syringe and injected it into my spine (like an epidural). The idea was that the blood clotted in the hole and blocked it (same way as you use sawdust to block a hole in a water pipe).

Fortunately it worked otherwise they said would have had to operate again to repair the hole. I am glad that they didn't wait to see if it cured it self but took immediate action that worked.
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2017, 09:08 PM

Bruce this sounds the same thing as my friend has, but in her case she has been told it will right itself, but no one can say how long
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2017, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by deylon ->
Bruce this sounds the same thing as my friend has, but in her case she has been told it will right itself, but no one can say how long
They can correct it with an epidural of blood. I remember the head pain was agonising, it took a couple of goes to correct it. She should complain long and hard there is not excuse to be left to suffer unnecessarily. Squeaky wheel and all that, they caused it they should correct it
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

05-07-2017, 09:34 AM

I forgot to mention that the procedure is called a "Blood Patch"

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top