Join for free
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2017, 10:05 AM

High hemoglobin count.

Blood tests have revealed I have a high haemoglobin count. The doctor didn't seem too concerned and just said I needed to have it tested every 6 months to keep an eye on it.

I wish I'd asked her more questions now but I was with her about another problem and didn't really take in what she was saying.

According to the internet a high hemoglobin count can be a sign of serious diseases.

The only none serious cause seems to be if I lives at a high altitude or smoked - I do neither!

Has anybody else had this?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2017, 11:34 AM

Re: High hemoglobin count.

Mines the opposite verging on anaemia the GP always says I need more iron in my diet, could you just be ingesting too much iron ?
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2017, 11:55 AM

Carol I knew a man who had this, but obviously worse than yours, and he had to have blood taken on a regular basis... which helped a lot.

I suspect yours is much less or your doctor would have taken some action, but please make sure you have your blood tests in a regular basis, in case it gets worse.

I think it is caused by your bone marrow producing too many red blood cells, but I would ask if your diet can be adjusted to help the situation.

The man I knew had this problem passed through his genes, so it may be an idea to get your blood relatives to get theirs checked.

Don't worry because this man was in his 60's when he discovered it and, as it was so high, taking some of his blood was essential. It did make him feel tired so if you start to feel any symptoms, make sure your doctor explains it fully.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2017, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
Blood tests have revealed I have a high haemoglobin count. The doctor didn't seem too concerned and just said I needed to have it tested every 6 months to keep an eye on it.

I wish I'd asked her more questions now but I was with her about another problem and didn't really take in what she was saying.

According to the internet a high hemoglobin count can be a sign of serious diseases.

The only none serious cause seems to be if I lives at a high altitude or smoked - I do neither!

Has anybody else had this?

Carol darlin' - can I have some of your 'excess' red cells please??? - I have a nasty little disease - Throbocytopenia - it can be managed, but not cured.

This disease 'eats' red blood cells. A normal healthy person has between 150,000 - 400,000 red cells. When they tested me back in March they could only find 2000. Even now, after a course of steroids, five transfusions of plasma and a course of chemo-therapy the doctors have only managed to get my blood cells back up to 151,000.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top