Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2017, 10:31 AM

Re: A glimmer of sense

We don't have to let them in as we are not schengen. Other countries don't. We have had rubbish border procedures for decades and that won't change. We persecute people who have done nothing (such as the lady who was living here for decades and was married to a brit but went to care for a relative in se asia) but at the same time allow those who play the system to slip through the net.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2017, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
We don't have to let them in as we are not schengen. Other countries don't. We have had rubbish border procedures for decades and that won't change. We persecute people who have done nothing (such as the lady who was living here for decades and was married to a brit but went to care for a relative in se asia) but at the same time allow those who play the system to slip through the net.
I agree I'm watching that case of the three year old they want to send to Africa to her father who wants her to have FGM if we can't keep a three year old safe we need to feel very ashamed indeed.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2017, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
I think that we are all aware of the massive damage being done by the remainers who would sink the wishes of the democratic voters without a care in the world for the cost.

They're still at it and, apparently seeking the means to drag it all out for years to come.
Nobody voted leave in order for the UK to end up worse off economically. The voting is over and the manner in which we leave is now up to politicians as that was not part of the vote. Let's hope they make an agreement that does not leave us poorer, less efficient, less competitive. Nobody voted for inflation, fewer jobs, higher taxes, less choice, or years of uncertainty. Or did they?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2017, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I know intellectually that we have more immigrants from out side Eu, but it's eu workers I'm competing against, and I know three Pakistani chaps came in through Europe, they got passports in Italy I believe and came in as Eu migrants. That is skewing the argument IMO those three can't be only ones done that ?
Hi

It is not intellectual, it is a simple fact.

The 3 Pakistanis you say you know are here illegally, they should be deported.

In any event, with an EU ID Card they would be shown as EU not none EU.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2017, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

It is not intellectual, it is a simple fact.

The 3 Pakistanis you say you know are here illegally, they should be deported.

In any event, with an EU ID Card they would be shown as EU not none EU.
I didn't realise that was illegal swim they are openly working here. I am now wondering if their employer realises, he's usually a law abiding person wouldn't readily take on illegal immigrants I'm sure.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2017, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
I do get it.

However, all of the remainer interactions are certainly deflecting the government from getting on with the job.

I'm not defending all of their actions, but it is clear that all the various Court cases, the amendment tricks, the blocking of votes, the media input, et cetera, must be having a huge impact on our ability to plan anything at all.
Hi

All the things you mention are irrelevant to the process of getting the systems in place to implement Brexit.

Deal or no deal, we leave in March 2019, the systems need to be ready.
Flicker
France
Flicker is female  Flicker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2017, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I know intellectually that we have more immigrants from out side Eu, but it's eu workers I'm competing against, and I know three Pakistani chaps came in through Europe, they got passports in Italy I believe and came in as Eu migrants. That is skewing the argument IMO those three can't be only ones done that ?
Pakistani immigrants do not come from the EU.
To enter the UK thru Europe via Schengen,they would have to be EU citizens with the correct paperwork since the UK does not belong to Schengen and asks for ID at ports of entry.
Flicker
France
Flicker is female  Flicker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2017, 06:17 PM

SF since you have narrowed down your reasons for leaving the EU to not wanting to be "ruled " by Europe (an emotive term I don't like because it smacks of divine right) can you tell me in what areas you are "ruled"?

If sovereignty rests in the ability to make your own decisions, I suppose you are familiar with the facts that the UK is sovereign in

decisions about budget allocation
taxation
interest rates
health provision
education
social service provision
issuance of gilts
levels of borrowing
civil laws involving sexuality, marriage and civil contracts, wills and charity law
Border control since you are not in Schengen
Financial support and use of the police...priorities etc
Economic decisions about austerity, support for certain sectors of the economy, tax rates including corporation tax, benefit sums and who gets them
deportations
the civil legal code
the interpretation of the constitution and how Parliament is run even to the undemocratic House of Lords
the position of the press in public life (should Murdoch be allowed to take over Sky for example)
land management in terms of building homes, brownbelt and greenbelt
investing in international projects
laws about consumer protection

I could go on but that's off the top of my head.

The only laws that are issued by the EU which are required to be followed have to do in some way with either synchronisation of trade or the environment...ie CAP or labelling or transport or growing methods or the precursor to the Paris Agreement...the EU environmental controls...water, soil, naturalising, animal protection etc etc.

Because that is what the EU is there for...and in doing what it does it now has an economy larger than that of the USA, far more liberal and a damned sight more sensible.

This thing of "hands off and don't tell me what to do" is also press generated. Do you think that other countries would not balk if the EU interfered too much in their affairs (which is the same across the EU)? You have some very proud countries in the EU which would soon shout if their sovereignty were touched. and never think they are too stupid to notice.
You may have read about the events in Poland ATM. If you did you lay have realised that if their new laws regarding the judiciary pass the country will have lost a lot of its judicial objectivity. The EU is objecting...because it goes against the principles of the EU. Is it not a good thing for the people of Poland to be checked in this issue? There have been issues like this in Hungary when the country nearly lost its constitution.

I know the UK would not be like this but the EU has prevented loss of democracy in at least two countries. Is this not a GOOD thing?

The ECJ only deals with cases that concern EU maw. It has not overridden UK law. The human rights court in Europe is the ECHR which is NOT part of the ECJ OR the EU. It is they who deal with immigration and deportation issues. NOT the EU.

So in all that is holy, what laws are so onerous that you cannot respect laws that do you and everyone else good??? Stamping feet and saying "we want to make all our own laws" is the mark of a ten year old!

and BTW the UK has as much power to input the EU decision making process as any other country. Influence in the EU corridors are where decisions at taken, not in the voting process. When Cameron took the UK MEP's out of the biggest EU party and planted them into one of the smallest, he took away a lot of th at power to influence. Farage finished the job by being the biggest, most insulting joke in the EU.

So perhaps you would like to let us know what laws you are chafing under..enough to trash your country?
Flicker
France

17-07-2017, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

All the things you mention are irrelevant to the process of getting the systems in place to implement Brexit.

Deal or no deal, we leave in March 2019, the systems need to be ready.
I find it difficult to appreciate why TedC is happy to trash all the parliamentary procedures he says he wants back in order to leave the EU.
And the conspiracy theories are quite sad...everyone is out to get you aren't they Ted?

I am disappointed that the UK govt has not put into place or offered financial support to any plans for farming, defense, vocational training, building customs posts, training customs officials, international legal teams, what to do when thousands lose their jobs (over 40,000 jobs depend on the EU trade), how to weather the loss of billions in city and corporation tax, about keeping the planes flying over Europe when it has to leave the Open Skies agreement,

jeez it can't even come up with proper plans for EU citizens in the UK after a year of knowing the need will be there.

The cabinet is in tatters because they can't decide what they want or will accept...and in the end the EU Parliament and Council may veto the whole thing anyway.
So you had better delay your street party.

TedC...instead of thinking the EU et al is plotting against you, you should be grateful if the EU gives you an inch. Because they don't have to.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top