Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2017, 12:50 PM

Re: Organ donation opt in or out?

We have opted in and carry a card and we have also informed our family to avoid doubt in the event, but we do believe it should be a choice for the individual, not the state.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2017, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Road_Hog ->
Because of the demographics of the forum, many of you will remember a time when the State did not interfere in our daily lives so much.

Our bodies are our own, to decide as we wish. We are free individuals, not owned by the State and they have no right to decide that they may take our body parts after our death. The State is here to protect us, not run our lives and their mandate does not run to harvesting organs. Especially as there is no guarantee as to how those organs will be used.

On that last point, it has been well documented (in the press) that donated organs (in this country) have been sold and transplanted to foreigners.

The government should issue a ban on all donated organs being used for non British (domiciled) people. They should try to educate people in to the altruism and benefits of organ donation, but not by force.

I say this as someone who was told by their gastro, in February of this year, that I have an outside chance of needing a liver transplant during my lifetime.
I have just read your profile and wanted to say that perhaps a transplant could be avoided if you could manage to stop your visits to the pub. I have no right to ask this, but if you find friends on here, I am sure they will all think the same!
Good luck whatever you decide... because if you start posting on here regularly, I think you will find that people start to care.
Road_Hog
New Member!
Warwick
Road_Hog is male 

10-07-2017, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I have just read your profile and wanted to say that perhaps a transplant could be avoided if you could manage to stop your visits to the pub. I have no right to ask this, but if you find friends on here, I am sure they will all think the same!
Good luck whatever you decide... because if you start posting on here regularly, I think you will find that people start to care.
I have been wandering around forums since 1990 (very different back then, called bulletin boards and all ascii) and I fill in the profile with a pinch of salt.

I could have put some more mundane hobbies, but taking the dog for long walks, whilst stopping en route to attend the allotment and chickens, plus I have a full Amateur radio licence and spend time chatting to people all over the world, is not that exciting. People want to read something a bit funny, a bit different. Unfortunately pub visits are curtailed somewhat from what they used to be, but still a very enjoyable evening.

But thank you for your concern.

Back to the topic. I still think people should donate a gift, not have the State slice them open and take what they want by default. The next stage is compulsory donation, believe me, it will happen.

PS I also read your profile, it needs updating, the RWC finished years ago, even the Lion's tour is over.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2017, 06:08 PM

I have been wandering around forums since 1990 (very different back then, called bulletin boards and all ascii) and I fill in the profile with a pinch of salt.

I could have put some more mundane hobbies, but taking the dog for long walks, whilst stopping en route to attend the allotment and chickens, plus I have a full Amateur radio licence and spend time chatting to people all over the world, is not that exciting. People want to read something a bit funny, a bit different. Unfortunately pub visits are curtailed somewhat from what they used to be, but still a very enjoyable evening.

Back to the topic. I still think people should donate a gift, not have the State slice them open and take what they want by default. The next stage is compulsory donation, believe me, it will happen.

PS I also read your profile, it needs updating, the RWC finished years ago, even the Lion's tour is over. ;-)
Yes I know, but I never bother to read my profile. I am a keen rugby fan though.

I also agree about donating organs, but I think you are right that it may eventually become compulsory!
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2017, 07:05 PM

I've opted in to donate . I don't mind as I won't need my body anymore and if it helps someone to have a better life that's great . My kids know my wishes so no problem there .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2017, 08:30 PM

PS I also read your profile, it needs updating, the RWC finished years ago, even the Lion's tour is over.

I agree with what you've said there.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top