Join for free
Page 3 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2017, 08:13 AM

Re: Teachers leaving the profession

Originally Posted by Bruv ->
How about raising status and standards of teaching as a profession ?
What exactly do you mean?
Teachers ( of presumably all standards ) are leaving the profession .
How do you suggest 'raising status '?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2017, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
It takes time for the effects of actions, that remove a teachers ability to control their classes, to make people leave the job they have trained to do!
It also takes time for children to learn that they can now push their luck a bit further...but it only takes 2 or 3 pupils to disrupt the running of the class, when they have learned.
A teacher is only as good as the pupils they teach... but you can't teach children unless you are in control of their learning environment
I don't think that's why they are leaving. My best friend who has been a teaching assistant for about 15 years was recently made redundant. There are government-led restructures and cuts forcing teachers to leave.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2017, 08:27 AM

How many of these Teachers leave then come back as agency teachers, less graft and more cash. ?
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2017, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I don't think that's why they are leaving. My best friend who has been a teaching assistant for about 15 years was recently made redundant. There are government-led restructures and cuts forcing teachers to leave.
Sadly most occupations are suffering these problems, or have already suffered them, and technology is the problem! There won't be teachers one day, because all kids will be taught by a computer screen. Unfortunately though, they won't be able to reduce your taxes because they no longer have to pay teachers salaries, that money will have to be used for benefits paid to the unemployed, which will include out of work teachers.
We all knew that computers could eventually take peoples jobs, but nobody believed it...... Now we are starting to see the reality of it!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2017, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

The answer to everything is not to raise the status of everything and everyone.

We have good teachers and bad teachers, hard working ones and lazy ones.

We are not delivering the goods when it comes to educating our kids, in my mind, there are two issues involved.

We are constantly changing the system, far too much time spent pratting about on this instead of spending time on actual teaching.

The second one is a cultural thing.

There is a quite large % of parents who do not value education and who do not support either their kids or their teachers.

The kids turn up in Reception class having been parked in front of a TV with cartoons with a packet of crisps just to keep them quiet.

They have no social skills and the parents are often at the schools shouting and swearing if the little pillock is ever disciplined.

Nadia, my pretend Grandkid, arrived at school able to write her name, read a little, add up and with an understanding of science in a fun way.

Mum and Dad had read to her every night, she knew how to add up, she knew about colours, we used to make ice cream, mixing blue and yellow to make green ice cream.

She had planted seeds, watched them grow, knew they had to be watered.

She had cooked with mum, made biscuits, made bread with me.

Kids are little sponges, education starts at home, it is not a state responsibility.

Discipline is also taught at home, she knew right from wrong.

She is not unique, many like her, but in a class with others who have not had these advantages, and the entire class proceeds at the speed of the lowest.

I am no expert in teaching, I listen to my family.

My sister is a Teaching Assistant in an Inner City School, many of those arriving , born in the UK, do not speak English, a nightmare.

One of my brothers was Deputy Head at a Secondary which took some from the Riddings, the one shut down.

He has had to take knives off pupils and deal with drugs gangs operating in the School.

Raising the status of Teachers is not going to solve this.

In short:
- political interference (regular changes to curriculum, etc)
- OFSTED and league tables
- feckless parents
- discipline unsupported by government and courts
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2017, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Sadly most occupations are suffering these problems, or have already suffered them, and technology is the problem! There won't be teachers one day, because all kids will be taught by a computer screen. Unfortunately though, they won't be able to reduce your taxes because they no longer have to pay teachers salaries, that money will have to be used for benefits paid to the unemployed, which will include out of work teachers.
We all knew that computers could eventually take peoples jobs, but nobody believed it...... Now we are starting to see the reality of it!

We still have human teachers in most schools. Getting rid of TAs to save money is putting the teachers under even more pressure so they end up leaving too.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2017, 01:29 PM

Too many people these days seem not to have time to devote to their children, I wonder why they have any.

Teacher friends tell me that children start school these days not only unable to read or do basic counting 1-100 but wearing nappies and unable to put two words together let alone hold a conversation. When it comes to eating, some can't hold a knife and fork or sit quietly at a table.
So some Teachers it seems are expected to teach children the basic functions of life before they even start to teach the things they are paid to teach.

Time some people started to concentrate more on their responsibilities rather than expecting others to do everything for them.
That seems to be a problem across the board in this country these days, 'the state will do it the state will pay'.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2017, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by meg ->
too many people these days seem not to have time to devote to their children, i wonder why they have any.

Teacher friends tell me that children start school these days not only unable to read or do basic counting 1-100 but wearing nappies and unable to put two words together let alone hold a conversation. When it comes to eating, some can't hold a knife and fork or sit quietly at a table.
So some teachers it seems are expected to teach children the basic functions of life before they even start to teach the things they are paid to teach.

Time some people started to concentrate more on their responsibilities rather than expecting others to do everything for them.
That seems to be a problem across the board in this country these days, 'the state will do it the state will pay'.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

10-07-2017, 01:56 PM

The point is that once discipline in schools is properly established, pupils are aware of the consequences and so there is much less likelihood of them misbehaving. The outcome is that there is little need for further punishments.

The converse is that if there are no consequences, pupils realise that they can do what the hell they like and no-one can do anything about it.
The further consequence is that many of them will become career criminals and, again, our lenient courts seem to actively encourage it.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2017, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
We still have human teachers in most schools. Getting rid of TAs to save money is putting the teachers under even more pressure so they end up leaving too.
At the moment we do! I watched the decline of staff in banking and there are very few staff now in comparison to when I worked there. Now most people use machines and many bank branches are closing... because computers are able to replace the staff.

In the not so distant future, I can see teaching being done online with just a few people in school to make sure the children are safe..... but they won't be able to do it overnight.

TA's didn't exist in our days, because the teachers could maintain discipline in that class ( the average number of pupils in a class were 30-35 at my school).

All employers now expect more from their staff because it means they are paying the same salaries for more work , and of course it puts the employees under more pressure.... but at least they still have a job. In the last 25 years staff have been reduced by 25% in most businesses..... It won't be quite so easy with teaching, but it will happen!

Page 3 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top