Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2017, 09:44 PM

Re: Knees are going!

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Sorry to hear about your painful knees Folydy, I might regret saying this, but I've been a runner for over forty years and never had any problems with my knees, but in all that time I've never weighed above eleven stone. In my opinion it doesn't matter what you do (barring accidents) if you're going to get things like arthritis, you will get it anyway. All you can do is try to alleviate the pain for as long as possible. Like Barry says, wear and tear can and does take it's toll. If it's just soft tissue damage it might just respond to resting them for a while. And avoid getting down on your knees, something I've always tried to avoid. Elasticated support bandages (Tubigrip) will help to take the pressure off them while at work....Good luck Floydy.
Wise advice GREY, tubigrips are just wonderful and I have always not gone down on my knees .
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2017, 10:13 PM

Ive also got damaged knees , I loved my zumba but I had to give it up or my doctor told me I would need both knees replaced within 5 years,,

I then saw the nurse about my thyroid troubles and she said I should try loosing weight because that would be better for me and suggested jogging or spinning !

I stick to walking the dog and swimming these days.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2017, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

A different problem to you Floydy, I have a damaged knee.

The advice from the docs is however, very simple, lose weight, it is weight which puts the strain one.

The physios had me doing exercises in a pool, it did help.
Sorry to hear about your damaged knee, swimfeeders. I hope it doesn't cause too many long term problems.

I may end up seeing a proper sports physio, but I'll go through the correct channels first and wait for the NHS physio to call and see what he has to say.

Weight is definitely a factor here, but as I'm simply 'big boned' and have a muscly frame, it will be difficult to lose enough, although the belly does need some attention!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2017, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by Older git ->
Could it be cartilage? Slight pain around the knee-and sometimes really sodding painful? Been there. You may have to wait weeks for a referral if it is and then hey ho-a small opp and no pain
I did initially think it could be a cartilage issue, but when the left knee started to get the niggles as well, I'm sort of ruling that out. We'll see how things progress.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

18-07-2017, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
I knew a guy who was a runner , he ran daily on pavements and grass thinking he was doing his body good . At 50 he had to have 2 new hips . I think too much excercise can damage your health and damage joints . I look at the runners today and wonder about their health when older .
Some people do push themselves far too hard, and I've certainly been guilty in that respect, Susan. It does depend on the type of exercise though, and running can be pretty hard going if you don't wear the correct footwear.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

18-07-2017, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
It could be the start of arthritis Floydy.
You need to get them x-rayed to find out.
The doctor mentioned an x-ray but he wants me to see the physio first, but yes Carol, this did indeed cross my mind.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

18-07-2017, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
You can build as much muscle as you like, but you can't build extra cartilage in your joints. It's not rocket science mate, wear and tear wears out joints and as for cartilage, when it's gone it's gone, so lose weight and cut down on the exercise to eke out the little you have left.....
Very wise words, Barry and I should have taken heed of others who have given me similar advice in the past.
I think it's still safe to exercise, but cutting it down would be the best option.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

18-07-2017, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Sorry to hear about your painful knees Folydy, I might regret saying this, but I've been a runner for over forty years and never had any problems with my knees, but in all that time I've never weighed above eleven stone. In my opinion it doesn't matter what you do (barring accidents) if you're going to get things like arthritis, you will get it anyway. All you can do is try to alleviate the pain for as long as possible. Like Barry says, wear and tear can and does take it's toll. If it's just soft tissue damage it might just respond to resting them for a while. And avoid getting down on your knees, something I've always tried to avoid. Elasticated support bandages (Tubigrip) will help to take the pressure off them while at work....Good luck Floydy.
Thanks bud, appreciated.
I'm not built for running these days, but I used to run up to five miles every night when I was in the RAF but I was much younger, fitter and lighter in those days.
Resting the knees from any further pummelling will surely help I reckon.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

18-07-2017, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Yes these hobbies we indulge in do-have unforeseen effects in later life, as does our work. I was a late starter into my disciplines, too late as my body had sort of set leaving me to rely on strength more than flexibilty that was required.

This left me behind those that had started younger and could twist and turn faster than i could. Still have damaged joints in my arms, hands and shoulders from my archery and kendo days, often caused by pushing personal barriers in the hope of higher grades.

Perhaps instructors should be more proactive in students performance, i was shocked when asked to judge a under 8 judo competition at the attitude of attending parents screaming at the kids to win many of whom had tears in their eyes.

But as said these things can damage us in the long term,. and lifting heavy weights is hard on the back and knees, good luck Floydy lets hope treatment can be effective.
Thanks very much, Nom.

Our bodies do suffer in the long run don't they, depending on which hobbie/sport we choose to partake in during our short lives.

I think I'm perhaps being a little too hasty in blaming the weight training entirely for my knee problem, but it certainly can't have helped matters.
Work takes its too, being on my feet all night and occasionally driving machinery which is not the most comfortable in their driving positions.

Playing it by ear until I get some professional diagnosis I think
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

18-07-2017, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by Cass ->
Ive also got damaged knees , I loved my zumba but I had to give it up or my doctor told me I would need both knees replaced within 5 years,,

I then saw the nurse about my thyroid troubles and she said I should try loosing weight because that would be better for me and suggested jogging or spinning !

I stick to walking the dog and swimming these days.
Safe and wise, Cass. We should pay more attention sometimes....until it's too late!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top