Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2017, 09:50 AM

Re: That telling Picture!

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
There is a picture here :

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7845686.html

I was not so interested in papers or lack of papers. (IMO heaps of papers do not mean much, kill trees and excess papers are def not a positive). I was interested in the body language.... is nobody interested in the body language of this pic? It speaks volumes to me.
Yes it shows a confident David Davis knowing that while the EU representatives were trying to look impressive with reams of paper in front of them he had 98 officials beavering away discussing citizen's rights, the Irish border issues, and the UK financial liabilities to the EU.

We don't need to make a 'big show of things' it is not the British way .
I am not the least bit phased by the 'doom mongers' and am confident things will turn out well in the end once we have left the EU.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2017, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Yes it shows a confident David Davis knowing that while the EU representatives were trying to look impressive with reams of paper in front of them he had 98 officials beavering away discussing citizen's rights, the Irish border issues, and the UK financial liabilities to the EU.

We don't need to make a 'big show of things' it is not the British way .
I am not the least bit phased by the 'doom mongers' and am confident things will turn out well in the end once we have left the EU.

I, too, am confident that we could benefit from leaving without making compromises or paying the EU's outrageous and unfounded 'leaving fees'.

I'm less confident that our MPs will stand their ground and not be bullied.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2017, 10:29 AM

Annie, you mentioned body language which interests me...

Are you referring to leaning forward/ back, smiling or not, hands open/closed, looking at the camera or not, that kind of thing?

Can you briefly describe what is good and what isn't in the photo?

I find this fascinating!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2017, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Annie, you mentioned body language which interests me...

Are you referring to leaning forward/ back, smiling or not, hands open/closed, looking at the camera or not, that kind of thing?

Can you briefly describe what is good and what isn't in the photo?

I find this fascinating!
Ruthio it's a fascinating pic because of the contrast between the two groups.

Davis and colleague are smiling widely but take a look at their hands. The colleague has his arms crossed close defensively to his body with the fingers of one hand gripping the inside of the elbow. Davis is even more tense. His hands are in a tense grip with one thumb awkwardly trying to get back in the womb.

The EU team are far more relaxed with their hands. The two on the outside are slightly defensive (crossed palms) but not tense. The man in the middle is totally in control of the situation but he is making a conciliatory body gesture. Palms flat and pointing to the UK side. Open and relaxed but also showing more power.

The EU side's smiles are more relaxed but also more reserved. No teeth are shown, but there is no muscle tension in the jaws. On the contrary the UK side look like they are gritting their teeth.

The picture shows a relaxed and confident side (the EU) and a tense and anxious side (the UK). The UK side look like they would rather be anywhere but in that room.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2017, 08:45 PM

Ruthio it's a fascinating pic because of the contrast between the two groups.

Davis and colleague are smiling widely but take a look at their hands. The colleague has his arms crossed close defensively to his body with the fingers of one hand gripping the inside of the elbow. Davis is even more tense. His hands are in a tense grip with one thumb awkwardly trying to get back in the womb.

The EU team are far more relaxed with their hands. The two on the outside are slightly defensive (crossed palms) but not tense. The man in the middle is totally in control of the situation but he is making a conciliatory body gesture. Palms flat and pointing to the UK side. Open and relaxed but also showing more power.

The EU side's smiles are more relaxed but also more reserved. No teeth are shown, but there is no muscle tension in the jaws. On the contrary the UK side look like they are gritting their teeth.

The picture shows a relaxed and confident side (the EU) and a tense and anxious side (the UK). The UK side look like they would rather be anywhere but in that room.
Well a totally unbiased interpretation by a would-be psychologist remainiac!

Don't give up your day job, for heaven's sake!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2017, 08:54 PM

I'm very good at reading body language JBR. Davis is simply not the right person for this negotiation.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

20-07-2017, 09:02 PM

I'm very good at reading body language JBR. Davis is simply not the right person for this negotiation.
What a coincidence!

I, too, am very good at reading body language, and I interpret the body language of both sides to be the complete opposite of your interpretation.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

20-07-2017, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
What a coincidence!

I, too, am very good at reading body language, and I interpret the body language of both sides to be the complete opposite of your interpretation.
It's a scientific fact that men are next to useless at reading body language. This is why you completely misinterpret the signals in this picture. He's the wrong guy for this job.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

20-07-2017, 09:34 PM

It's a scientific fact that men are next to useless at reading body language. This is why you completely misinterpret the signals in this picture. He's the wrong guy for this job.
That's interesting.

Do you have a link to an authoritative scientific site that explains your assertion that men are next to useless at reading body language?
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2017, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Which says a lot about the EU.

And some people in this country still think we'd be better off under the control of these arrogant, corrupt people.
We were not under their control and I think we have quite enough arrogant and corrupt people of our own.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top