Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2017, 08:28 PM

Re: Help Please! My Energy Tariff Is Coming To The End Soon

Originally Posted by JBR ->
The important thing is the tariff, not the monthly payment.

In my experience, you can agree to make whatever monthly payment you wish, within reason of course.

For example, although I am on a specific tariff with British Gas, I thought I was paying too much on my monthly direct debit and my credit was building up! I telephoned them and asked them to lower the direct debit payment, which they did. They also refunded me an overpayment of over £500!

Obviously, you need to keep an eye on your statements to see whether your regular payments are meeting the usage figures. However, the important figure for comparison of different suppliers is the tariff offered by each.

There will also be other considerations such as tie-in times and 'discount offers', etc.

The MoneySavingExpert.com Cheap Energy Club web site compares all of this and automatically works out all the financial implications for you.
JBR Please can you tell me what you are paying per unit for gas and electric and the daily standing charge. I just want to compare them with the price of mine. Thank You
Leia
UK
Leia is female  Leia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2017, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Yes I've read the reviews but they are improving of late I believe. Having said that I was once with Scottish Power and the Ombudsman had to sort my bills out when I was with them, so Npower can't possibly be as bad...... can they... ? ...
When Npower closed the offices where my son-in-law worked, the customer services were outsourced to India, just sayin'.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2017, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
JBR Please can you tell me what you are paying per unit for gas and electric and the daily standing charge. I just want to compare them with the price of mine. Thank You
Art you can't really compare prices with someone else unless you live in the same area.
Your postcode: your location affects which energy companies you can switch to, as suppliers differ according to geographical areas.
http://switch.which.co.uk/energy-adv...suppliers.html

That is why your postcode is requested when making a comparison.

Not all regions charge the same for the 'infrastructure', the transportation of electricity and wires etc.
It's a nonsense really.

Electricity Distribution Map...
http://www.energynetworks.org/info/f...ution-map.html
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2017, 10:14 PM

Sure.

GAS:
2.57p per kWh
Standing charge = 21.81p per day

ELECTRICITY:
9.3p per kWh

Fixed tariff until 3/10/17
Dual fuel discount of £15 per year (for what it's worth!).

Hope this helps.

Meg's right, but you can at least compare with what you're getting. You can, of course, compare British Gas's tariffs, etc, for your own area. All I can say for certain is that this is the best deal available in my area.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2017, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Sure.

GAS:
2.57p per kWh

ELECTRICITY:
9.3p per kWh

Fixed tariff until 3/10/17
Dual fuel discount of £15 per year (for what it's worth!).

Hope this helps.

Meg's right, but you can at least compare with what you're getting. You can, of course, compare British Gas's tariffs, etc, for your own area. All I can say for certain is that this is the best deal available in my area.
JBR, Thanks for the info! It was a relief to see Meg's post!!
I was worried that l had done the wrong thing when l read the prices per unit you quoted, as mine were slightly higher!
I then went on British Gas page, to get a quote as you advised. They wanted a massive £22 more a month than l will be paying with Scottish Power!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2017, 11:46 PM

JBR, Thanks for the info! It was a relief to see Meg's post!!
I was worried that l had done the wrong thing when l read the prices per unit you quoted, as mine were slightly higher!
I then went on British Gas page, to get a quote as you advised. They wanted a massive £22 more a month than l will be paying with Scottish Power!
I have to say that I think that is outrageous.

Still, as Meg said, they can charge what they like, although I can't understand how they can justify charging higher rates in one region than in another.

The important thing is that you have compared what is available and gone for the best deal.

Many can't be bothered!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

24-07-2017, 01:17 PM

Just when l thought it was safe to go out... the last few posts on this thread have got me thinking!
I know you must all be bored by this saga but when JBR mentioned his daily standing charge was 21.81 and mine on the new tariff would be 32.88 a day (it was 19.18 a day, previously) l decided to ring Scottish Power up.
As a lowish user I have the choice of paying the lower standing charge but with higher unit prices or a higher standing charge with lower unit prices!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

24-07-2017, 01:33 PM

Yes, it can become unnecessarily complicated!

Perhaps one day, energy companies will be forced to give easily comparable charges.

I can compare a Dime bar at the Co-op with a Dime bar at Tesco. That's quite easy, and I can save 1p quite simply by walking across the road!

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top