Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2017, 10:30 AM

Re: Sharing bedrooms

I had a sister but she died of a brain tumour at eighteen months, so Mum and Dad had another go and got me...Whoopee I hear you say........I think I fulfilled all of their dreams and they called it a day....So I grew up an only child and had a choice of two rooms.

It wasn't until I got married that I had to share a room with somebody else, It started off delightful, but after forty five years of fidgeting and snoring (and that's just me) I long for the great open space of a Queen sized bed just for me.....
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2017, 11:06 AM

As an only child, I had my own room for my early years. All changed when I was thirteen and my mum lost her divorced sister, and her two children came to live with us. So the boy moved into my room and the attic was converted into a bedroom for me and my girl cousin. I don't remember ever minding about this, I guess I was glad to have what was the nearest thing to a brother and sister.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2017, 11:32 AM

I can vaguely remember bits around infant school age.
We had a funny old house, quite a lot of land, but a small house.
There was only one big bedroom and I can remember Mum & Dad in their double bed on one wall, and me and my brother in two singles against another wall.
Us kids didn't know any different though, I suppose I'd have been about 4 then.
I believe I was born in that house too.

We had loads of room outside to play, and Dad kept chickens for our eggs.
There was an old black iron fire in the kitchen and our dog used to sleep in a little bed next to it.
In the winter we would marvel at the ice patterns on the windows - inside!

It was at that house my horrid brother shattered my dreams about Father Christmas, as one day he found Dad's old red costume in an attic room and showed me. He told me it was all a lie and Father Christmas never existed.
I'll always remember that, I was so upset and wished he'd never told me.

When I started the infants school down the road, I used to sneak out and run home every day. Mum always used to have to cart me back again. Nowadays the school would be in big trouble for allowing little ones to keep escaping!

We moved eventually, to a much bigger house where we had 3 bedrooms for the first time, but we lost all the lovely space to play outside, as it only had a tiny garden.

I remember that first house very fondly though.
I looked on google maps a while back to see if it was still there, but it is gone and they've built loads of flats on our land.
I felt quite sad.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2017, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Mr Ploppy ->
Tessa, I'd share a bedroom with you anytime, but only if you promise, and keep the promise, you won't start anything.
I promise (fingers crossed behind my back)
It depends if I find you irresistible!

I might start snoring though, not my fault!
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2017, 11:57 AM

My brother and I shared until we left home, but at least we had separate beds from around 12 years old.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2017, 12:17 PM

What a lovely thread this is! It is so interesting hearing your memories of home, when you were young, and I hope more people contribute to it.
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2017, 01:10 PM

I remember when one of my cousins stayed over, we used to sleep top 'n tail in a single bed. I wonder if they do this today.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2017, 01:20 PM

As I've already posted we kids slept four to a bed . We lived minutes from the beach in Anglesey and mum decided to do bed and breakfast to earn some money . There were 9 mouths to feed . Mum let out 2 rooms to guests for £1 per night . We only had 1 bathroom , we had to allow guests to use it first and often waited in the kitchen with legs crossed and sometimes the boys ran into the garden . We never moaned about sharing beds as we benefitted with nicer food from her income . We would watch through the door as guests ate wonderful cooked breakfasts and drool at the lovely smell of eggs and bacon . We were a bunch of ragamuffins .

I'm going back in memory about 55 years now .
Moyra
South East Essex
Moyra is female  Moyra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2017, 01:31 PM

There were 6 of us children in a two bedroomed bungalow. So we were top to tail. Three girls to the top and the two boys to the bottom and baby sister in a cot in the parents room.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2017, 01:41 PM

Apparently, we also had lodgers.
One was a brush salesman, there was also a young couple, a cousin of Mum's and his wife. I have no idea where they slept, so it must have been when I was very young or just before I was born.
Oddly, I get Xmas cards from the cousin who I can't remember meeting!
We also had two cousins, boy and girl cousins staying with us while my aunt and uncle were in Malaysia with the Army.
How we all fitted in I don't know!
Dad's disabled brother also lived with us for a while too!
They weren't all living with us at the same time, at least I don't think so!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top