Join for free
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2017, 11:06 AM

Four Year Terms

The Labor party has floated the idea again for federal parliament to have four year fixed terms. Currently the term is three years and voters go to the polls every two and half years on average.

Do you think extending the term to a fixed one of 4 years is a better idea? It will take a referendum to achieve this and therefore will need both major parties to support it. There was a referendum in 1988 and the Liberals pulled out so naturally it failed.

Most state governments now have fixed terms of four years.

What do you think? is fixed four year terms a good idea or does the three year term concentrate their minds and should it be retained?

Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2017, 01:04 PM

Re: Four Year Terms

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
The Labor party has floated the idea again for federal parliament to have four year fixed terms. Currently the term is three years and voters go to the polls every two and half years on average.

Do you think extending the term to a fixed one of 4 years is a better idea? It will take a referendum to achieve this and therefore will need both major parties to support it. There was a referendum in 1988 and the Liberals pulled out so naturally it failed.

Most state governments now have fixed terms of four years.

What do you think? is fixed four year terms a good idea or does the three year term concentrate their minds and should it be retained?

Sounds reasonable, to fall in line with state parliaments.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2017, 01:22 PM

A four-year term sounds reasonable to me so that those in charge/power can be given time to fulfill their election promises. A caveat with that. As long as those in power can be ousted at any time by a vote of no confidence.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2017, 01:36 PM

Hi

We have 5 year fixed term Parliaments here in the UK.

Theresa May had to seek the permission of Parliament to hold the last one.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2017, 04:55 PM

[QUOTE=swimfeeders;1198887]Hi

We have 5 year fixed term Parliaments here in the UK.

Theresa May had to seek the permission of Parliament to hold the last one.[/QUOTE]

Thats one decision that she would like to add to her other U turns.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2017, 06:03 PM

Four years seems fair as said it gives time to make changes, but not so long that you can ruin a country. I'm not keen on our five year policy as they seem to run out of steam in the last year.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2017, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Four years seems fair as said it gives time to make changes, but not so long that you can ruin a country. I'm not keen on our five year policy as they seem to run out of steam in the last year.
Also they bring in things the next lot can get blamed for!
The they get elected again oops!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2017, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Five years is ridiculously long for a parliament to last in my opinion.

Personally I favour retaining the three year term, nothing concentrates a pollies mind more than the fear of execution.

The problem with changing the lower house term is that it will then be out of step with the half senate elections held every three years (again to change that would require a referendum). Shorten is proposing sorting that out afterwards by another referendum which I think is a bad move.

The Australian Constitution can only be changed by referendum. There have been 44 referendums held since 1901 and only eight of these have been successful. The most successful referendum in Australia’s history was in 1967 where 90.77% of the nation voted ‘Yes for Aborigines’.

To pass a referendum, the bill must ordinarily achieve a double majority: a majority of those voting nationwide, as well as separate majorities in a majority of states (i.e., 4 out of 6 states).

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top