Join for free
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2017, 08:23 AM

Parental influence

Seeing the royal Princes continued tribute and defence of their mother 20 years after her death makes me think how influenced we are by our parents and how no matter how many years have passed people still try to ( often successfully ) to please them .
The influence of parents good or bad stays with people for life .
True?

“They **** you up, your mum and dad.
They may not mean to, but they do.
They fill you with the faults they had
And add some extra, just for you.

But they were ****** up in their turn
By fools in old-style hats and coats,
Who half the time were soppy-stern
And half at one another's throats.

Man hands on misery to man.
It deepens like a coastal shelf.
Get out as early as you can,
And don't have any kids yourself.”
― Philip Larkin
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2017, 08:37 AM

Re: Parental influence

I think we all start out hoping we will be better at parenting than our parents , our babies are born and we want only the best for them . Then life kicks in , relationship problems, life issues, and as time goes on we do make mistakes which do affect our children . We mess up too and the children are caught in the trap .

My son told me a long time ago he would not have children as he was not paternal and he doesn't regret it .

I see the pattern in my daughter who is a brilliant mother but has issues and they affect the children . I can only observe , yet I see it happening .

Our parents when young would have started life with hope in their hearts that they would want only the best for their children and like us made mistakes. It's just life I guess .
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2017, 08:42 AM

As a Parent, I tried my best to be ineffectual, I think I succeeded.
Bruv
Kent UK
Bruv is male  Bruv has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2017, 10:10 AM

Your influences can be negative, and that in itself is a lesson.

I have kids that follow their mother's way, while others have learned by it and rejected it.

Snigger snigger they all go along with me.................I think.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top