Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2017, 12:09 PM

Opticians

Which opticians do you use, and how often to do get your eyes checked?

Do you go to the big name, 'chain store' types like Spec- Savers or Boots, or do you prefer the smaller independent shops?

I have had so many problems of late with wrong glasses being made and having to return them, I am getting fed up with it.
A consultant at the hospital suggested I avoid the big places and it just made me wonder what others do?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2017, 12:14 PM

Re: Opticians

There's an independent opticians just up the road from me which I understand are very good. I haven't been there since moving but will be making a visit soon.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2017, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
There's an independent opticians just up the road from me which I understand are very good. I haven't been there since moving but will be making a visit soon.

How often do you get your eyes checked dongles?
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2017, 12:25 PM

I use smaller Independent opticians, but have to chose from a limited NHS list for my diabetic eye screening, bad experiences from the large chains.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

24-07-2017, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
I use smaller Independent opticians, but have to chose from a limited NHS list for my diabetic eye screening, bad experiences from the large chains.

Do you mean they kept getting your prescription wrong too, Nom?
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2017, 12:33 PM

I use Asda opticians for the test then send the prescription to an online company for my specs. I can normally get 3 pairs for around £50 doing it this way.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2017, 12:35 PM

That's a good idea Barry!
I go to Vision Express, because they took photos of the back of my eyes.
Even if a new one did the same they wouldn't spot any changes because they wouldn't have the original ones.
I'm stuck with them now I suppose!
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2017, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
That's a good idea Barry!
I go to Vision Express, because they took photos of the back of my eyes.
Even if a new one did the same they wouldn't spot any changes because they wouldn't have the original ones.
I'm stuck with them now I suppose!
As far as I understand you can still just ask for the prescription and have it filled elsewhere Tessa, you aren't forced to pay the exhorbitant prices they ask.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2017, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Do you mean they kept getting your prescription wrong too, Nom?
Day after i was diagnosed as a diabetic, i was in the city and decided to get my eyes checked, no one had explain about how diabetes affects eyesight, i did mention it to the optician though they said nothing.

They proceeded to sell me a pair of reading specs £200, my consultant hit the roof, as no glasses should have been sold until my blood glucose was under control.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2017, 01:04 PM

I should have my eyes tested yearly ,but i don't .

I was happy with Supersavers till they made the shop bigger and it became much busier , the shop was buzzing while i sat there waiting for my turn .

So last year i thought i would go to Boots , i had checked it out and it was less busy,
I had a hard sell back from retirement lady , I did buy after a couple of hours from testing to choosing my frames to paying for them .

I picked them up a week later , and in less than a month the lens fell out !
I returned them and while i waited an assistant put the lens back in ..
He told me he had replaced the short screw which was in and put one of their long screws in , as the manufacture screw never stays in .
It wasn't until a few days later i thought there was something not right with the glass and noticed the lens was not put in correctly so i was not seeing as i should ..

Im wearing my old glasses from Supersavers again , And i will not go back to BOOTS again for any Glasses.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top