Join for free
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2015, 01:21 PM

How,Why?

Did you learn to cook? I have just been thinking about those first few weeks at university. Self catering and no spare money.

I thought-sod this I am not going to live on mince and baked beans and I cannot afford to take a girl out to eat so learn how to cook a bit.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2015, 02:26 PM

Re: How,Why?

I can cook a few simple dishes but I'm confident that, if necessary, I could cook a variety of things of an everyday nature, after all you only need a recipe and instructions. A few years ago I decided to make a Black Forest gateau, it took quite a while but I got there in the end and it was OK.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2015, 07:26 PM

Learned from my Nan she started teaching me when I was about 5 years old very simple children's cookbook and we would spend Saturday afternoons baking and cooking.
By the time I was 10 I was cooking a cake for the family each weekend and doing Sunday lunch when Nan needed a rest.
Marj
England
Marj is female  Marj has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2015, 07:35 PM

I got the basics from school, didn't cook much at home, trial and error when I got married. but you know what they say practice makes perfect, I would say I'm pretty much ok now, grandaughters say I am the best cook in the world and my Yorkshire puds are to die for, so they tell me I don't eat them
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2015, 07:39 PM

I learnt to cook when very young and was cooking the evening meal after school at the age of 9.
I was lucky in having a very good domestic science teacher at school and later lived with someone who had attender the Cordon Bleu School in Paris, I learnt lots from her.

I made sure my son could cook a basic repertoire when he went to Uni, he is a good cook .

I am now teaching my grandchildren to cook.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2015, 07:45 PM

My interest in cooking started at school and I have enjoyed looking through cookery books ever since. I taught my granddaughter to make simple cakes from the age of 6 and she made and decorated her first Birthday cake for her Mum when she was 10.

Last week my daughter and family came to our house while their new kitchen was being fitted, Katie cooked dinner for six on three days (she is 14 now).
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2015, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
My interest in cooking started at school and I have enjoyed looking through cookery books ever since. I taught my granddaughter to make simple cakes from the age of 6 and she made and decorated her first Birthday cake for her Mum when she was 10.

Last week my daughter and family came to our house while their new kitchen was being fitted, Katie cooked dinner for six on three days (she is 14 now).
Well done Katie
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2015, 11:50 PM

t now man can sure cook.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2015, 07:10 AM

Had cooking lessons at school and helped mum at home.
But when I married and had children it was a baptism by fire, my children had food allergies and 30+ years ago it wasnt funny .. Soya milk was on perscription and everything was still loaded with additives, I had to learn lots of tricks to get round their allergies.

Yesterday I made two batches of lactose free icecream for my daughter, I know you can buy it now but old habits die hard.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top