Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2015, 02:04 PM

Re: This is worrying

NHS website:

Confusion over antihistamine brands
Many of the papers have listed Benadryl as one of the drugs associated with an increased risk of dementia. This does not hold true in the UK, as the ingredients are different here from those used in the US, where the study took place.
Johnson & Johnson, the maker of Benadryl, confirmed no products in the UK range contain the active ingredient diphenhydramine.
It's worth noting GSK's Piriton, a first-generation antihistamine correctly listed in the media, shouldn't be confused with Piriteze – GSK's second-generation antihistamine, which contains cetirizine and does not have an anticholinergic effect.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2015, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
NHS website:

Confusion over antihistamine brands
Many of the papers have listed Benadryl as one of the drugs associated with an increased risk of dementia. This does not hold true in the UK, as the ingredients are different here from those used in the US, where the study took place.
Johnson & Johnson, the maker of Benadryl, confirmed no products in the UK range contain the active ingredient diphenhydramine.
It's worth noting GSK's Piriton, a first-generation antihistamine correctly listed in the media, shouldn't be confused with Piriteze – GSK's second-generation antihistamine, which contains cetirizine and does not have an anticholinergic effect.
I have been on Chlorphenamine Maleate which is I believe piriton original for about 3 years 3 a day ! will have to speak to my allergist to see what she recommends because I have to take it or I get terrible itchy urticaria !
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2015, 06:09 PM

Response to query regarding possible link between dementia and Tesco Sleep Aid:

Dear Customer

Thanks for your patience.

In regards to our recent chat, I have received a response from my Support Team, who advised me that these tablets are herbal and contain no drugs.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards

Kieran Williams
Tesco Customer Service

Tesco Logo
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2015, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
Response to query regarding possible link between dementia and Tesco Sleep Aid:

Dear Customer

Thanks for your patience.

In regards to our recent chat, I have received a response from my Support Team, who advised me that these tablets are herbal and contain no drugs.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards

Kieran Williams
Tesco Customer Service

Tesco Logo
I really shouldn't laugh, but

How on earth can he say that herbal tablets do not contain drugs????? Many herbal tablets have potential side effects and interactions and I'm frankly shocked that they can suggest that because the tablets are herbal they are 100% safe…

(shakes head in disbelief that Tesco is so unaware of what a blunder that is…)
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2015, 06:32 PM

My sleeping was transformed once I ditched strong coffee. Decaff for me now and I sleep without waking at the slightest sound, as I used to do.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2015, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
I really shouldn't laugh, but

How on earth can he say that herbal tablets do not contain drugs????? Many herbal tablets have potential side effects and interactions and I'm frankly shocked that they can suggest that because the tablets are herbal they are 100% safe…

(shakes head in disbelief that Tesco is so unaware of what a blunder that is…)
I've had people say to me 'it's herbal, that can't hurt you, can it?' A common misconception!

Are they as regulated as the usual stuff we take, I doubt it..
Lindyloo
isle of wight

28-01-2015, 07:08 PM

It contains the following active ingredients: extract of hops; extract of valerian; and extract of passion flower.
Also............calcium hydrogen phposphate, microcrystalline cellulose, maltodextrin, colloidal anhydroussilica, stearic acid, magnesium stearate, hypromellose, polyethylene glycol, iron oxides and titanium dioxide!

It's enough to put me to sleep!!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2015, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by cranberry ->
I've had people say to me 'it's herbal, that can't hurt you, can it?' A common misconception!

Are they as regulated as the usual stuff we take, I doubt it..

A lot of the rules and regs regarding herbal and homeopathic medicines have changed in recent years, and are much more stringent now. I am not sufficiently knowledgeable to be able to quote what they can and cannot do exactly, but I do know it is nowhere near as flexible as it used to be.

As for asking whether they are "as regulated as our usual stuff", well don't forget plenty of 'our usual stuff' has adverse reactions, inimicals and concomitants as well.

I don't think anyone should self-medicate for anything potentially serious whether its with herbal or orthodox remedies. Get proper advice from someone you trust.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2015, 10:54 AM

I was looking up anything on anti-histamines this morning as my wife mentioned something about them yesterday then I realised this thread was also linked to this topic.

I found this: -

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2015/01Januar...mon-drugs.aspx

which may help some a little nervous about these lurid newspaper headlines.

The thing to remember - always - is that newspaper exist to make money by getting you to buy their often-dreadful fear sheets.

They are not a public service any more than they are medical experts so if you have any worries ask someone who is trained.

I take antihistamines because I get hay fever so I was rather surprised to also find this: -
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/279000.php

I take it all with a pinch of salt these days. stevmk2
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2015, 02:02 PM

My sleep patterns have been disturbed ever since the day my son was born.

I honestly feel this is why more women than men (or at least that's what they say) deal with insomnia.

Think about it.

When you have children, you no longer get a full night's sleep. Not only because the child wakes you throughout the night for several months, but because it's just a natural motherly instinct to sleep with one ear open. Even if you're one of the lucky ones whose child slept through the night, as a mother you probably still slept lightly - again, with one ear open - in case the child cries for you.

Before my son was born, I slept like the dead. Now a mouse running across the floor can wake me up and it's been that way for 15 years. I haven't slept normally since.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top