Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2014, 03:33 PM

Re: Just like riding a bike?

If your road sense is good and you want to ride a bike then there is no reason why you can't sell that bike and buy a 3 wheeler. There are so many of them about these days even motorised bikes although they are a little pricey.
I used to love riding bikes but these days my lungs couldn't cope with the physical side of it. Was thinking last year of buying an electric one but our lass needs her chauffeur so I bought yet another car.
Good luck whatever you do.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2014, 06:09 PM

I rode a bike until my balance with the MS became a danger, it is something you can learn later but I found by the time I stopped I had lost the joy in it anyway as traffic had got so busy. Used to have a little trailer I would tow with my shopping and/or my dogs in it. We went miles with a picnic lunch and if I was lucky the dogs wouldn't have eaten my lunch by the time we got places. Tasha was in a child seat behind me and when she got old enough she had her own bike and along with the boys on theirs we would head off every Saturday and have great fun.

Sorry rambling through some lovely memories ....
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2014, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Roseredlee ->
I have never ridden a bike. We don't have a car, and my husband rides his bike everywhere. The children learned when they were little. He has been on at me for years to learn. Now he's bought me a second hand, very good condition one which seems a good height (I'm 5' 4 and 1/2 - the 1/2 is important to me!) and I don't want to be too far from the ground, but my friend says you're safer and more balanced with bigger wheels. I've been watching Youtube how to do it videos and got him to take the wheels off so I can cruise down gentle slopes while getting used to it. But...

Anyway, I have no sense of balance, I'm scared and I feel like I'm too old (something I don't like saying about anything, but on this occasion...) The bike guy says he will buy it back next spring if I get nowhere. Anyone out there learnt at an advanced age - can it be done?
Did your husband ever give you a "Backie" ?.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2014, 09:01 AM

I still ride my bike around the country lanes of Kent but its no longer a racing bike as it was up until my late 50s. I now have an off road bike with some suspension! The days of racing around what was then the Crystal Palace race track and is now an athletics track, one hundred mile time trials and bursts of speed around the Herne Hill banked track are gone now unfortunately.
Roseredlee
United Kingdom
Roseredlee is female  Roseredlee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2014, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Did your husband ever give you a "Backie" ?.
Wouldn't trust him! I've tried to persuade him to get a tandem so he could do the work and I could just pretend to peddle (like I used to pretend to play in recorder group and to sing in the choir) but he won't fall for it. I also thought about a three wheeler as someone here suggested but bike guy said they're dodgy getting up kerbs and overbalance easily (sound like the 4x4s of the biking world!) Still haven't plucked up courage.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2014, 11:33 AM

Always fancied one of these http://www.blackbirdbikes.com/index.htm better than sitting behind, sit side by side !
Roseredlee
United Kingdom
Roseredlee is female  Roseredlee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2014, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Always fancied one of these http://www.blackbirdbikes.com/index.htm better than sitting behind, sit side by side !
But then he'd know I wasn't peddling!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

27-10-2014, 11:35 AM

LOL never thought of that
Myth and Magic
UK
Myth and Magic is female  Myth and Magic has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2014, 05:31 PM

Cycling is the best exercise and if you have a bike like mine, you never get wet. Yes, it is an exercise bike, I started riding one umteeum years ago in a hospital gymnasium. I fell off to start with but soon became addicted, and have worn out several exercise bikes. My present one has done about 8 thousand kilometres and is beginning to clank a bit.

You can usually pick them up dirt cheap at car boot sales as people buy them on the shopping channel and never use them.

I can recommend it as the best all round exercise. I usually play the radio or watch TV while I am riding.
I might try riding a road going bike one day but that sounds like hard work to me
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2014, 08:08 PM

We did a ramble in Millport and ended it with 6 of the members renting a conference bike. Six people on the one bike. I have to say it was one of the funniest things I've ever witnessed. They were going off in all directions, competely uncontrollable. They had to take painkillers the next day with muscle ache . Was such good fun

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top