Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2014, 07:46 PM

Windows 10

Windows 10, not 9! The Beta is available, but it seems to me to have too many links to cloud computing. Could be a cobbled up W7+8+8.1?

I started with CPM, DOS, Windows 2, thence to 7 via XP, and can't see me changing my kit to W10 at the moment. Not an early adopter I'm afraid.

One problem with upgrading the OS is potential problem with lack of drivers for hardware.

Any thoughts anyone?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2014, 09:15 PM

Re: Windows 10

Any thoughts anyone?
I don't see the need for these constant updates which to me are frequently unnecessary and pointless . Take W8 which seems to have been designed with touch screen tablet users in mind, it is a pain in the bum for a laptop user with a mouse like me.

I have only just got used to W8+1 and I won't be rushing to try W10 any time soon
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2014, 09:53 PM

I still pine for ME!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2014, 01:10 AM

I agree, always wait for version x.1 or, in the case of Windows, at least until after the first Service Pack is released.

Windows 8 will undoubtedly join Vista, ME and MSDOS-4 as the worst M$ products ever.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2014, 10:23 AM

I'll wait for Windows 10 to become final. One reason being that I am happy enough with Windows 8.1. It works well for me on my Desktop computer using a keyboard and mouse. Just a diversion from Windows 10 but it is all perhaps relevant to the progression towards it:

I prefer to use a block of organised tiles on the Start Screen as shortcuts for opening programs and the only inconvenience I've found has been this 'Start-Screen/Desktop' dual interface.

It's possible to boot to the Start Screen and close Windows Apps to it but no option is given to close every installed program to it. When a non-Windows 8 App is closed, the Desktop shows. I'd like it so that when any program closes, the Start Screen shows by default. Operate entirely from the tiled Start Screen in other words.

I think it is perhaps not the tiles per se that has made Windows 8 difficult to accept but partly the fact it is necessary to switch between the two Desktops.

Start8, Classic Shell and similar fixes this by hiding the Start Screen. Something that has made using Window 8 more acceptable for many. Nobody ever made a product for hiding the conventional Desktop though. Anyway, my feeling is that if Microsoft had gone completely tiled, I'd have preferred that to having to be forever diving between the Start Screen and the Desktop.

Windows 10 looks like it addresses the dual interface approach by merging the tiled Start Screen and the conventional Desktop. This might keep us all happy depending on how customisable it turns out to be.

Something maybe worth a mention. I read that Microsoft want to gather all the information they can about how the Windows 10 Technical Preview is behaving. As such, they are automatically monitoring usage to a great degree. Information is being fed back to Microsoft.

About Microsoft feedback
tyrell
South Eat England
tyrell is male  tyrell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2014, 03:30 AM

Reading all these posts about Windows shows me how much I don't miss those days. A converted Mac user now things are much , much easier .

:::: An Apple a day Keeps Windows at Bay ::;:
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2014, 07:52 AM

I think that's a good way to go for some Tyrell. Switching wouldn't be for me because on balance, I've always liked Microsoft operating systems (own an iPad as well and have tried Linux a number of times over the years).

Windows 8.1 certainly is different to previous operating systems regarding the interface and this does take some getting used to ..but so did the switch from DOS to Windows and the switch from Windows 3.11 to Windows 95.

I think Windows 8.1 is the best Microsoft OS so far. It looks like the only issue I've been mildly annoyed with (the 'dual-Desktop') might be resolved in Windows 10. I'll be going with the new OS when the final release is available.

However, home users who are really unhappy using a Microsoft operating system should perhaps consider using something else. I don't think any OS can be all things to all people but the choices of platform are out there.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

26-10-2014, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Dobra ->
Windows 10, not 9! The Beta is available, but it seems to me to have too many links to cloud computing. Could be a cobbled up W7+8+8.1?

I started with CPM, DOS, Windows 2, thence to 7 via XP, and can't see me changing my kit to W10 at the moment. Not an early adopter I'm afraid.

One problem with upgrading the OS is potential problem with lack of drivers for hardware.

Any thoughts anyone?
It might be necessary to read in places that are dedicated to discussing Windows 10 to get a feeling for how well it is being received. I haven't tried it but from what I have read, some testers are giving the Windows 10 Technical Preview the thumbs up. It is early days yet though.
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2014, 02:16 PM

Bought this Samsung laptop early this year took a while to get used to W8 after being so long on XP I still have my moments of madness one of them is that every so long I try to allow it to update to W8.1 each time it goes mad and I have to restore to W8.
Happy at present but it has already started saying your update to W8.1 is ready.
At present I am being strong and not allowing it, but I know I will break eventually and fuk it all up again and then I will have to restore all over again and lose loads of stuff. Has you can guess I ain't a computer geek..
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

06-11-2014, 10:11 AM

What happens when it goes mad? Any messages or anything?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top