Join for free
Poppy53
Norfolk UK
Poppy53 is female  Poppy53 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2016, 09:01 PM

Heavy metal

Who is into heavy metal ? As my children would call it hair metal, some of my favorites are Metallica, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, and I like Pink Floyd, Jimi Hendrix the list is long.
What are your favorites ?
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2016, 10:58 PM

Re: Heavy metal

I think Jimi Hendrix and Pink Floyd are good. Been to see a couple of tribute bands for both. I might like one or two numbers by the other bands mentioned but not all of them. 'Rocky Mountain Way' by Joe Walsh is a favourite.
Goldielocks
Spain
Goldielocks is female  Goldielocks has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2016, 12:16 AM

Yep all of the above but of late Joe Bonamassa
Poppy53
Norfolk UK
Poppy53 is female  Poppy53 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2016, 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I think Jimi Hendrix and Pink Floyd are good. Been to see a couple of tribute bands for both. I might like one or two numbers by the other bands mentioned but not all of them. 'Rocky Mountain Way' by Joe Walsh is a favourite.
I saw a tribute band for Pink Floyd, and they were so good.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2016, 06:14 AM

Not for me i prefer what came before and was known as hard rock, Led Zep, Deep Purple, Uriah Heep, and Hendrix. Much more blues driven music, with a touch of psychedelia.
Goldielocks
Spain
Goldielocks is female  Goldielocks has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2016, 09:29 AM

Wishbone Ash, Man, those were the days
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2016, 10:23 AM

I prefer the commercial side of rock such as Rainbow, ZZ top etc. I really don't get the screaming at the top of the voice stuff.

I know it's not heavy metal but I think The Rasmus is one of the most underated bands.
graculus
Yorkshire
graculus is male  graculus has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2016, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Poppy53 ->
Who is into heavy metal ? As my children would call it hair metal, some of my favorites are Metallica, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, and I like Pink Floyd, Jimi Hendrix the list is long.
What are your favorites ?
Please don't put Hendrix under 'heavy metal'. He is anything but. Heavy, blues, psychedelic, but not metal. Listen to AYE, Axis and Ladyland. It's music that defys category. He transcends labels.

As for Floyd, not in the slightest bit 'metal'. English pastoral psych, fairy tales and Wind in the willows, whimsy and later on a therapeutic vehicle for Roger Waters' hang ups which made them a stadium filling enterprise. DSOTM is a fairly accurate aural excursion into the state of our fragile mortality but it ain't metal. Animals sums up the bleaker side of our existence in a brutal way (the album is tame compared to the live shows - listen to one - Oakland, Madison Square Garden or for the finale, Montreal 1977 - the show that gave rise to the Wall). None of it 'heavy metal'.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2016, 05:34 PM

I'm very pleased that graculus submitted his post before I did, reading here as I was feeling incredulus at Pink Floyd and Jimi being labelled 'heavy metal'. Whaaaaat? And Joe Walsh too? Even Joe Bonamassa - a bluesman!

I'll give you Sabbath, Led Zepp (at a pinch) and certainly Metallica, but we cannot generalise that the briefest glimpse of a guitar means a band plays Heavy Metal. This is Spinal Tap []
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2016, 08:02 PM

I am disappointed
Thought we were going to get some" heavy metal" clips, specially Black Sabbath.
Ya Boo.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top