Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2016, 09:33 AM

Re: Do you mind (men)?

As tradesmen did you find many women tried to do DIY or fix things or was it mostly men being macho?
Hanfonius
North Wales
Hanfonius is male  Hanfonius has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2016, 09:48 AM

In my prime, I could turn my hand to most jobs on the DIY front.

Some things, such as laying bricks or plastering, I knew they were beyond me, but plumbing, electricity and carpentry, well, they are a man's job. The lady's role is to provide plenty of coffee and worshipping her hero.

When it comes to decorating, however, my wife will not let me participate. She, alone, is the only person who can hang a strip of wallpaper correctly. She has the monopoly on what design that paper should be, and she will decide what colour the paint should be.
'You've left an air bubble there.' or 'You've missed that bit of paint there.' and finally, 'Oh, for heaven's sake, give me that brush and go and do something useful.'

..... so I go back to my corner, and carry on knitting a pair of socks for my Uncle Herbert's birthday present....
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2016, 09:50 AM

My ex husband has a brilliant brain but he was wasn't very good at DIY.
One bank holiday, l suggested he knock down the wall between the kitchen and dining room..... what we didn't realise was, that it was a supporting wall! Luckily, we knew a builder and he came and rectified it!
My husband then said he would build a barbecue in the garden with some bricks. It was like the Leaning Tower of Pisa but it served its purpose! Our friend the builder and his wife fell on each other laughing when they saw it!!
He did once put up a Perspex roof over the entrance at the side of the house. He did a brilliant job and it never flinched when the wind blew. I used to really praise him for that job!!
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2016, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
As tradesmen did you find many women tried to do DIY or fix things or was it mostly men being macho?
It was always men. Not being macho though. It was because they were often highly qualified in their own field of electronics and felt they should be able to mend a mere television, video recorder or other equipment.

The wives were left to make the excuses when things went wrong because my calls were in the day when the husbands were at work. I remember it being said, "My husband works at --- and should have been able to mend it."
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2016, 09:52 AM

I had very few call-outs from women who'd done a bad job but many from women who's other half had(apparently).

DIY- destruct it yourself.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2016, 10:41 AM

When I first met my 2nd wasband he offered to wallpaper my lounge, I left him to it, wished I hadn't, he'd insisted on putting lining paper on before the proper paper and hung it the wrong way. So I had vertical lines in the middle of each length of wallpaper.
My Dad was builder and I learned a lot from him but if I gave advice it was ignored.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2016, 11:09 AM

When I first met my 2nd wasband he offered to wallpaper my lounge, I left him to it, wished I hadn't, he'd insisted on putting lining paper on before the proper paper and hung it the wrong way. So I had vertical lines in the middle of each length of wallpaper.
My Dad was builder and I learned a lot from him but if I gave advice it was ignored.
I can be a bit OTT when it comes to detail. This includes cable-hiding and joins in wallpaper. The idea is not to see connecting or mains cables anywhere. There's nearly always a way to hide them. I'm looking now to see it I can see any joins in the wallpaper ...I suppose I can see a few if I really look.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2016, 11:23 AM

I know my place.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2016, 11:35 AM

Well at least he did one job well for you Artangel

I love that programme. I cant stop laughing when I watch it.
I do keep thinking though how stupid could you be when you
see them cutting the tree down they are leaning on and knocking
a wall from the bottom so all the top falls on them.

I don't look at it as a man thing though. I just think there are
some stupid people whether they are male or female.

I do the DIY in our house as a single parent I learnt very quickly
and wished I had done woodwork at school instead of needlework.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2016, 11:41 AM

Hmmm Mr Muddy has not impressed me with his DIY skills .
He may have them but he's the sort who prefers to ring someone up to come and do it .
A bit more of a master and commander
Well it all makes work for someone .

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top