Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2016, 12:50 AM

Do you mind (men)?

I was watching "DIY how not to" (or something) it was very funny and I thought the men on it were daft but endearing. Hitting themselves with hammers, electricuting themselves, falling of roofs etc.
However, in lots of TV shows and adverts even cartoon series, men are being portrayed as bumbling twits.
The women are usually the clever ones who have to put up with their daftness or sort them out.

I was wondering if men are happy with this, does it give them an excuse when they do something wrong?

Do their wives and girlfriends really just roll their eyes and shake their heads?

Is it making men unsure of themselves?

What's do you think?
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2016, 01:08 AM

Re: Do you mind (men)?

I think it's hilarious, being a builder and working on some large(ish)sites I've witnessed a lot of what was shown.

Unfortunately Elf & Safety put a stop to a lot of horseplay which made the sites a little less fun......what was deemed as acceptable is now a sackable offence.

As for my ex-wife, she used to just roll her eyes as if my silly behaviour was normal.....I suppose it was but she still had a giggle, it kept our relationship fresh, still does but in other ways.

I don't mind how we are portrayed generally but, I do take exception to the adverts about child abuse.

It always portrays the abuser as being male, that I find insulting and misleading.

A young person with emotional and/or mental problems may interpret that it's only abuse if carried out by a male.
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2016, 07:23 AM

I've been extremely lucky to have a husband who can do - well, anything DIY. He's very proficient in fixing, mending, building stuff, decorating and so on so I certainly don't subscribe to the "men are useless, women sort it all out" school of thought. In our house it's the other way round. I do think that young men today though probably have less knowledge or interest in working with their hands, so maybe they turn to their own dads to help.

I get sick to death of adverts showing inept and stupid men with smirking females standing over them. I know some men are rubbish round the home, I know some women are very skilled - my single pal is an example - but I do hate the denigration and de-masculising (is that even a word?) of men in the media.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2016, 07:29 AM

There was a time when men were portrayed as strong and capable and women as beautiful, dutiful and dim, can't say it worried me but, I was young then.

I wonder if it changed around Thatcher's time.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2016, 07:54 AM

Its just an advertising trick to sell to women i feel, ive probably done most of the things suggested while working in construction, certainly been on the receiving end of plenty of electric shocks being an electrician.
Made plenty money over the years from incompetent DIY enthusiasts so cant complain too much, not having a TV i dont see adverts, and when i did i tuned out while they were on.

Of course men are superior anyhoo, so we need to let the little women have some fun. Off to the cave, there may be incoming.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

13-04-2016, 08:54 AM

I'll let you off Nom, too confused and knackered to poink you this morning!
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2016, 09:01 AM

'How Not to DIY' gives a good laugh. I'm sure if the men in it felt belittled by their failures, the videos wouldn't end up on TV. I'd think that, looking back, they probably laugh at themselves.

True that some men aren't very good at DIY but that shouldn't make them subjects for women saying "Men! " because they will no doubt be clever at other things. Everyone has their strong and weak points.

I've always been pretty handy around the home ..barring the odd cock-up. Sawing mitres in ceiling coving at the wrong angle for instance. A few blood blisters on thumbs over the years too.

I'm not adverse to my better half making suggestions and sometimes changing the way I was about to do something. Jobs turn out well one way or another.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2016, 09:04 AM

My husband is a diyer I am used to the accidents now notable ones were when he nailed through a water pipe, one of his first diy attempts, few years later I came home to see a leg hanging through the ceiling he had gone into the loft and missed his footing, just recently he stabbed him self with a stanly knife which looked rather nasty but was simply glued by the walk in centre.

I think the only reason he did these daft things is it would never occur to me to try half the things he does, so it's just that he is braver than me he is just putting himself into more situations that could end in disaster.

I all other ways he is fairly dependable and strong.
Sundodger
Spain
Sundodger is male  Sundodger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2016, 09:06 AM

I love all the blokes that don't know one end of a hammer from the other! It gives me lots of pocket money! I particularly like helping folk out with Swedish 'self assembly' furniture!

Having said that, I'm no financial or IT wizard, so different strokes and all that.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2016, 09:25 AM

I used to make money out of a different sort DIYer. We had quite a few technical industries around here. Some who worked in those places reckoned they could fix their own televisions, video recorders and hi-fi equipment.

They couldn't.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top